Tactical flash light? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Concealed Carry Discussion Just as the title reads. :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tactical flash light?

Hey guys I want to buy a Tactical flash light to add to my ever growing list of daily carry items. What light do yall carry?

Pics, details and/or links would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I carry the Gladius by Nighthawk and love it. It has different functions where some of the other flashlights don't. The strobe feature is great for CQ!! The only thing that bothered me at first was, I'm used to using the big mag light at night on traffic stops so when I first got it I would go to tuck it under my arm and its little tough since its so small haha. I got used to it after a couple stops.

Here's a review that I posted up for you.

The Gladius flashlight is a pretty good flashlight overall, but after seeing several new LED Maglites, LED Streamlights, Surefire Leds, and the new Pelican 7060 Led Flashlight, I have to admit that the Gladius is not THE brightest light on the market. I will list its advantages first, and then its disadvantages.

Advantages:

Smaller than Maglites, most Streamlights, and smaller than the Pelican 7060; Rated at 90+ Lumens, which gives it tactical use; It is lightweight, has good ergonomics; You can use the light at full power, which will last 90 minutes, or you can dim it to the lowest beam (.8 lumens), which will allow the battery to last for several days; its dimming capabilities allow you to use the necessary light for whatever task you are engaged in (i.e. you don't need 90 lumens to read a document in the dark, so you can dim the brightness down); the Gladius has a strobe mode, capable of disorienting a non-compliant or hostile individual (although the strobe mode can cause seizures on a small percentage of the population who is sensitive to flashing light patterns); the light has a lockout feature to prevent accidental activation which will drain the expensive CR123A batteries; the light is well balanced, and you can use it either mounted on a weapon, or in your hand by using several tactical flashlight techniques; the Gladius has a smart electrically regulated package that will adjust output when the light begins to overheat; it is also electrically regulated so that its brightness does not dim as the batteries get drained; the LED bulb should never burn out; and finally the flashlight will flash every fifteen seconds to alert you when the batteries are about to die. Another nice thing is that the presentation that the Gladius comes in is really nice: It comes in a hard plastic box with two Blackhawk batteries, instructions, a lanyard, and its protected in foam padding.

Disadvantages:

If you like a solid, heavy flashlight then the Gladius is not for you. Don't get me wrong, the Gladius can take a beating, for it was made for close quarter combat. However, it's body/barrel is not made out of aluminum and it is very light. This of course is only a matter of personal preference.

If you have worked with tactical led lights such as the Pelican 7060 or the Surefire E1b "Backup" mini light, you will be somewhat disappointed at the brightness of the Gladius. The Surefire E1b is rated at 80+ lumens, whereas the Gladius is rated at 90+ lumen, and yet the Surefire is visibly brighter than the Gladius, even though it is only half of it's size. The Pelican 7060 (130 lumens) outperforms both flashlights.

The Gladius is not rechargeable. Putting rechargeable CR123A batteries into the Gladius (especially rechargeable batteries from Asia found on eBay), might damage the electrical circuits on the Gladius. This means you will be spending tons of money on CR123A's. This is why perhaps you would be better off getting a rechargeable light. The Pelican 7060 is brighter, its rechargeable, lightweight, and it ranges from $110 to $150, where as the Gladius has an outrageous range of $170-300.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Deerelight

I have owned streamlight, surefire, pelican

Recently a good friend got me a deerelight

everything else is junk now...

On lunch and don't have a lot of time, but here:

NEW DEERELIGHT WEB SITE!!!!! - CPFMarketPlace

Dereelight

Batteries are rechargable (bought from Batteryjunction.com for about 7 bucks a piece and last way longer than the CR123s -- it uses a 18650 Li-Ion battery (google it) they are over twice the size of a CR123 and don't overheat near as bad as the little guys. Smart charger was about 20 bucks...

Never going back!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
The Fat Mod

I have posted this pic before, but it works for many topics in this section. I carry an energizer 1Watt single AA. It has been a work horse. I got it at target for about $16. It is very bright. It may not be as bright as a $100 light, but I would say it is every bit of 60-70 lumens. Plenty of light for what it is. I have had it for about a year now, and it has not stopped. Batteries are easy to find and cheap and last a pretty good amount of time in this light. I would buy 10 more of them without problems. For that price too, if you loose it, you will not be out $100 or more.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:09 PM

I carry a 4D mag light in my truck. I dunno if your talking about carrying in your pocket or truck though
Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 AM

check out Tactical flashlights and flashlight mounts for home security, police, military and sports use its my buddies company made in FL all great products ranging from mounted to all weapons to just carry in your pocket
Old 07-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks budd
Old 07-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Just stay away from surefire.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Y's that? ive never head any thing bad about surefire?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
I went through two of them patrol before last. They don't like being abused the way I have been known to abuse things like that. Also they didn't stand behind the warranty. Like Logan my favorite is a little multi color LED that I bought at Home Depot. It was cheap and has handled all the abuse that I have put on it. Including dropping it three levels and submerging it in oily bilge water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.