Planning to get CC wondering for first gun - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Concealed Carry Discussion Just as the title reads. :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Planning to get CC wondering for first gun

planning on getting my CC here in pa and unsure what i should go with for gun of choice. ive shot on a reg basis with friends but havent gotten my own gun yet. im thinking i might stick with a fullsize. i make night deposits 5 nights a week that vary in amount and thats my main reason for wanting to get something. opinions? what to look for stay away from? thinking s&w .40 possibly but havent actually started looking yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86lxnotch View Post
planning on getting my CC here in pa and unsure what i should go with for gun of choice. ive shot on a reg basis with friends but havent gotten my own gun yet. im thinking i might stick with a fullsize. i make night deposits 5 nights a week that vary in amount and thats my main reason for wanting to get something. opinions? what to look for stay away from? thinking s&w .40 possibly but havent actually started looking yet
First thing, full size is hard to conceal, and a concealed weapons permit MUST be concealed, otherwise you risk getting picked up for brandishing, etc.

Second, what type of guns do you like, and what have you shot, full size auto or revolver, compact, sub-compact, etc. Ammo is another thing to consider. Not all rounds do the same thing, and some are much more expensive to buy tan others.

I personally reccomend either a .45 auto or a .357 revolver. I am personally a revolver guy... but to each their own.

You need to spend some time trying to figure out first what you CAN carry, what you KNOW how to shot, and what you can afford to feed.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM

shot a few full's and sub's. never been a fan of revolvers(dont get me wrong i like em but just not for me to shoot) i have no issue on shooting anything really ive adjusted fairly quickly to diff guns. ammo-wise i dont need a hollow-point or the like just something reliable really. price wise i want a affordable/reliable gun and i wont skimp on quality ammo
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86lxnotch View Post
shot a few full's and sub's. never been a fan of revolvers(dont get me wrong i like em but just not for me to shoot) i have no issue on shooting anything really ive adjusted fairly quickly to diff guns. ammo-wise i dont need a hollow-point or the like just something reliable really. price wise i want a affordable/reliable gun and i wont skimp on quality ammo
Well, if you are getting it for personal protection, yuo really want/need a good hollow-point.

I guess then you just need to find something that you can conceal and you are comfortable handeling/shooting.

Everyone has different "feel". I for one HATE glocks, I have big meaty hands and frequently have ahard time finging a auto that wont slice the webbing on my hand.

Like I said, I would def look at a .45 if you want protection. When you do find a pistol you like and are comfortable with, (Holding, concealing, cleaning, and proficient at shooting) buy it, if yours or another's life may depend on it, don't skimp out and buy some crappy chinese knock-off.

Buy American, and I highly recomend a stainless. Good luck. If you havent already, take a safety course, and again, LEARN TO SHOOT IT, Safely. Always clean afterwords, and remember it is a great responcibility to carry it. Know your rights and your laws.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM

thanks for the advice, i def plan on a name brand for this and plan on looking into the laws more so im at the very least read up on everything for the state/local stuff.

thanks again
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Firstly, Def learn the laws of your state and states that recirprocate with yours. Laws are written to be interprited, do not try and push the limits into grey areas, if you think you probably shouldnt...DONT.

As for weapons, S&W, they make some nice revolvers, shotguns and rifles, The only semi auto i would consider would be the Smith and Wesson M&P. Stay away from the sigma.

People bash glocks, I think they are ugly, but they are utilitarian. They will work, they are safe and they are reliable. They are designed to be easy to shoot for the person who has never picked up a pistol, and mastered by those who wish to master it. I have a glock sub compact 40. and am going to buy the sub compact single stack 45 very shortly.

Revolvers are also very nice, and easy to carry, make sure its a double action. Look at the smith and wesson J frame, maybe even the officers model with the hidden hammer. My pref is .357. You can shoot full on .357 loads or basic .38s (never shoot 357s out of a 38).

As for caliber, it has to be something you are comfortable with, but i highly suggest a proven Self Defense round, a nice hollow point.

There are a few reasons....Ball ammunition has the ability to hold its weight and mass better, through design. In a self defense situation you may not have the ability to know what is beyond your threat. Due to the fact ball ammo will hold its weight and mass it has the ability to penetrate through the target. This does two things, has less of an effect on the threat and endangers anyone or anything beyond the target, and yes, you can be held liable for anything or anyone hurt....especially if you end up fatally wounding someone innocent.

Now we have ammunution covered, ill tell you that i strongly suggest 45 and 40. A 40 caliber will give you the carry capacity of a 9mm and not be far off from the ballistics of a 45. but being as we are comparing a 40 to a 45, why not just get a 45.

What stops the threat is actualy hemmoraging and blunt trauma, you want to do as much damage as quickly as possible. ENTER .45. The 45 is a very slow, very heavy round. This means that with a good hollow point, theres a very good chance all of the bullets energy will be absorbed by the threat, and not pass through. A 9mm is a light high velocity round. Yes Police Departments use them, however, they dont do the damge a 40 and 45 will. Its not a comfortable feeling knowing your going toe to toe with a bad guy, who you already shot and hes not stopping....thinking "damnit, i need a 45". Its a horrible feeling.

Enjoy your CCW. Be responsible and dont make the good guys look bad. Get ouf of situations if you can and use it only...ONLY as a LAST RESORT where you belive death is imminent if not used in a defensive situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.