Concealed Carry Caliber - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Concealed Carry Discussion Just as the title reads. :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Concealed Carry Caliber

I am in the market for a new CC weapon because i don't like the way the G26 i have feels and shoots. I don't like the subcompacts. I want to go to just a compact.

I originally was going to stick with the 9mm, however I am now considering going up to a .40 cal or maybe even a .45. I do plan on sticking with glock. I like the other glocks i have shot, i just don't like the subcompact.

So give me pros and cons of each caliber, 9mm, .40, and .45 cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I carry a Kimber Ultra Tactical 2 .45 cal. I like more stopping power
Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunninpig View Post
I carry a Kimber Ultra Tactical 2 .45 cal. I like more stopping power
Do you like it? I've been seriously thinking about buying that exact gun.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

cause of this bad azz pic?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
I'm pretty sure that i won't be going with another 9mm. I've just heard too many people say that it doesn't have enough azz behind it to take down some one jacked up on coke or meth, whereas a .40 cal will.

I think the fact that most police use the .40 should say something too.

I like the extra stopping power of a .45, but I'd have a lower mag capacity and the gun will be heavier.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin6Liters View Post
Do you like it? I've been seriously thinking about buying that exact gun.

I love it, I actually love Kimbers, I have 3 It is a great firing weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I'm pretty sure that i won't be going with another 9mm. I've just heard too many people say that it doesn't have enough azz behind it to take down some one jacked up on coke or meth, whereas a .40 cal will.

I think the fact that most police use the .40 should say something too.

I like the extra stopping power of a .45, but I'd have a lower mag capacity and the gun will be heavier.
The Kimber tactical ultra is just 26 ounces empty It holds one in the pipe and 7 in the mag. if you need more than one shot you need to spend more time at the range IMHO
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is a little food for thought, something to mull over.

For duty, I carry a Kimber Custom TLE/RL II. It's a 45 and the mag only holds 8. I shoot high 90's to 100's on our course. I carry 4 extra mags, 32 rounds. So 41 total (1 in the pipe).

My Glock 22 .40 holds 15 and the mag pouch holds 2, 30 rounds with 16 in the gun (1 in the pipe). So 46 rounds in all vs. 41.

So really only 5 round difference, but more reloads with the single stack 45. My scores are higher with the kimber, better shot placement. Glock is sorta a little scattered even with hinny sights, it's a 22C with about 800 thru it. Kimber has had about 2000 thru it.

I'll argue ballistics with anyone all day and night. Regardless of the caliber, shot placement is where it is at. Poor shooter, go with the max capacity you can get.

Personally, I don't like compacts. Had a compact Glock 40 and got rid of it. I prefer full size. I am not a large guy, small actually, and I carry either a full size Glock or Kimber off duty. Easy to hide, no problem.

I like the looks of the compact Kimbers and almost bought 1, but I really don't care for compacts. If your set on a Glock, check the dimensions. The width is the same as full size, the over all length is a tad less and the grip is less leaving your little finger dangling. Some of my friends put the extension on the mags of their compact, guess what... About the same size as a full size mag meaning about the same grip length as a full size. So the idea of a shorter grip is gone. So they save only an inch or so of barrel.

If you can hide a compact, you can hide a gun 1 or 2 inches longer and have more mag capacity. I put a full size Glock, or Kimber, on my right hip and wear a loose T-shirt. Never been noticed as far as I know.

I carried a Glock 22 for umpteen years until it broke. Only liked it when I bought it. Had to replace with a 22C, well not really a 22C, but had to replace in the event my Kimber went down. I shoot better with Kimber than Glock. Hate the Glock factory sights, grip and trigger. Other than that, a perfect gun, perfect functioning weapon, ugly though.

For a giggle, I did not clean my glock for a year. Nope, all the quals, weather, playing around etc. Never a flaw. Speer Gold Dot 180's and Winchester white box. Never a glitch, very impressed, but ugly and horrible grip.

Kimber, clean clean clean. I failed to wipe it down after a few days of rain. Well, the hammer has light rust. After quals, it is essential to clean, and a PITA to do. Just a FWIW, Glock, take down and put the lower, slide, and spring in the dishwasher with dishes. Do barrel as usual with any gun. Then llight oil and just a couple drops of oil on lower metal and slide groove.

Research most shootings, around 7 yards (police shootings). Your talking a tense, stressful, hinny puckering 21 little short feet. The shot placement is dependent on, well, your life. Will a .22 do as well as a .45? Hmmm... If you catch it in the brain box, uh, yea. The .45 will leave a larger hole, and shock trauma, but the little .22 as most don't understand usually goes in and spins in the skull. Scrambling an egg in the shell. A chest shot, well, the .45 does very well over other competetors depending on ammo.

When researching your decision, don't just look at hole size, look at the shock trauma size. take a look at trials in ballistic geletin with the caliber and ammo you plan to use. BTW, DPX ammo is fabulous! Great ballistics, expansion and holds its weight well. Just open your wallet when you buy.

Sorry for being blabby, had a few and love the topic! PM me and I'll fill you in.

Grim

Last edited by Grimreefer; 02-27-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 PM

Here's a 9mm ricochet at 15 yards, I'm guessing. Ball ammo, steel popper targets. yes she had eye and ear protection and was standing behind me, leaning out a little. Needless to say our shooting day was over. Nurse had it cleaned up before I took the pic, I was a little shaken as you can imagine.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

For my carry gun, it varries between my G23 and S&W 642 .38 J-frame. I do have to say I love my glocks. I have G17, G22, G23 and a G21. I have shot many different guns and feel more comfortable and have much better groupings with the Glocks. The only reason I carry the S&W is because it is much smaller and easier to conceal. I would deffinatly suggest a G23!!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Banned

my g23 is my conceal. i used/carried it last weeken when i was down at the border..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.