Virtually here!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Big Daddy!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Virtually here!!!!

WOOOOHOOO

I just upgraded the home Desktop because I will be attending online college. So I had a 19" square (not widescreen) LCD, and I bought a 24" widescreen, which is basically the same height as the 19" but ALMOST twice as wide, so I am running them side by side which is almost like having trip 19's ....

Then I decided that I want to run virtual machines since I am sick and tired of spyware\malware\viruses destroying a software build that might take me 8 to 16 hours to do! I got VMWare, but the current machine was a DAWG, it had a dual core 3.0 intel, and 1GB or RAM. I fixed that up in short order! I upgraded it to a quad 2.4ghz, and 8GB of RAM to wash it down with! That means that I took the plunge and got Vista Ultimate 64, and the machine is running JUST happily, and I can feed my Virtual machines 1GB of RAM for operation, and I did upgrade to a 1tb SATAIII drive as well!!!! This thing is SMOKIN!!!!!

I can rebuild a machine in minutes now, instead of days! I am on now from a virtual image of an OS called Backtrack3 which is a Penetration Testers OS build in Slackware!!!

OMG I am SUCH a GEEK !!!!

I guess admitting that you have a problem is the first step in recovery!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
man that is one bad a$$ system. if ya need any help, let me know. i love the dual monitor setup. but wow, 8gb of ram, vista ult 64x, 2.4ghz quad, 1tb hdd.

what did you do for a video card?

and what was the total cost of that system?

what classes are ya takin?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcarmel View Post
WOOOOHOOO

I just upgraded the home Desktop because I will be attending online college. So I had a 19" square (not widescreen) LCD, and I bought a 24" widescreen, which is basically the same height as the 19" but ALMOST twice as wide, so I am running them side by side which is almost like having trip 19's ....

Then I decided that I want to run virtual machines since I am sick and tired of spyware\malware\viruses destroying a software build that might take me 8 to 16 hours to do! I got VMWare, but the current machine was a DAWG, it had a dual core 3.0 intel, and 1GB or RAM. I fixed that up in short order! I upgraded it to a quad 2.4ghz, and 8GB of RAM to wash it down with! That means that I took the plunge and got Vista Ultimate 64, and the machine is running JUST happily, and I can feed my Virtual machines 1GB of RAM for operation, and I did upgrade to a 1tb SATAIII drive as well!!!! This thing is SMOKIN!!!!!

I can rebuild a machine in minutes now, instead of days! I am on now from a virtual image of an OS called Backtrack3 which is a Penetration Testers OS build in Slackware!!!

OMG I am SUCH a GEEK !!!!

I guess admitting that you have a problem is the first step in recovery!!!

What the hell did you just say?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Big Daddy!

I have about 18 years in the IT field. I build quad monitor systems for Refineries, and the whole backbone network that controls the refineries. ....

I am taking Computer Information Systems Security .....

I am not much of a gamer, so I just used the card that came on the board. It is a ATI
3200HD. It has VGA/DVI/HDMI

I ACTUALLY bought Vista 64 so that was $220, and I have about $700 in the system, but I will sell the old MB and get probably $100.00 or so out of it. It is still a kicking system for someone that isn't a SPEED FREEK!!!! .....
Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
What the hell did you just say?
Lemme translate that into REDNECK for you.

It's so fast that when you hit the enter button the clock spins backerds!!!! ...
Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:

It's so fast that when you hit the enter button the clock spins backerds!!!! ...
Oh OK, now I understand.

I built my own computer several years ago and now it's running slow. Any tips on how to speed her up?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Big Daddy!

If you built it several years ago the best way to speed it up is to start over..... ...

Other than that RAM is cheap, so max it out! Consider rebuilding the Operating system if it hasn't had that done in the last couple years. Spyware is a KILLER! ****Make sure you know how to re-install an OS before trying this though.

Sometimes is it cheaper to just get a new one ....

Last edited by robertcarmel; 10-10-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have about 18 years in the IT field. I build quad monitor systems for Refineries, and the whole backbone network that controls the refineries. ....

I am taking Computer Information Systems Security .....

I am not much of a gamer, so I just used the card that came on the board. It is a ATI
3200HD. It has VGA/DVI/HDMI

I ACTUALLY bought Vista 64 so that was $220, and I have about $700 in the system, but I will sell the old MB and get probably $100.00 or so out of it. It is still a kicking system for someone that isn't a SPEED FREEK!!!! .....

a fellow IT guy. Im still in college for that degree. But im doin the CIS without the security part.

plus a certificate in Cisco. heheh

im a invidia guy. dont care for ati

Quote:

or its so fast that the screen actually does something for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
Oh OK, now I understand.

I built my own computer several years ago and now it's running slow. Any tips on how to speed her up?
buy a new computer or build a new rig. if ya buy, go with dell. or hp.

the components has changed so much that the parts are getting harder to find and some what cheaper in some cases.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
a fellow IT guy. Im still in college for that degree. But im doin the CIS without the security part.

plus a certificate in Cisco. heheh

im a invidia guy. dont care for ati

or its so fast that the screen actually does something for a change

buy a new computer or build a new rig. if ya buy, go with dell. or hp.

the components has changed so much that the parts are getting harder to find and some what cheaper in some cases.
I agree I just bought my wife a Notebook for skool this year, and it is a dual AMD 320GB with 4GB RAM it was an HP and it was only $750.00 NEW at Office Depot!!! The BEST price I found ANYWAHERE for a comparable machine...

I have a CCNA, and MCP, get the CERTS then get the experience, THEN get the degree! ..... The Certs will make you more money!!! ....
Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree I just bought my wife a Notebook for skool this year, and it is a dual AMD 320GB with 4GB RAM it was an HP and it was only $750.00 NEW at Office Depot!!! The BEST price I found ANYWAHERE for a comparable machine...

I have a CCNA, and MCP, get the CERTS then get the experience, THEN get the degree! ..... The Certs will make you more money!!! ....
good price for the laptop

im been kinda doin it backwards... classes and work for that field while in school. but no certs

i should have by now is the mcdst, mcp, and a+. just havent taken the time to drive to dallas or longview to take the test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.