a litttle help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a litttle help

first off let me tell you what i have in place now, i have dsl comming into are accouting office with a linksys wrt54gs router conneting 3 wired computers to the dsl and then i have a linksys repeater set up to boost signal to a linksys wet54g bridge that is in are office in another building about 300 ft away. are signal out here is ok, the main problem is with the router, i have upgraded the firm ware many times and still have the issue of it droping the wireless side, the only way to get the wireless network back up is to power cycle each unit .....could anyone recomend a better set up, cost is not too much of an issue just great reliabilty

im looking at the cisco 1231 g router
thanks
frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

You may want to stay away from Linksys as they are less reliable (since) Cisco bought them. I have had better luck with Dlink for lowend networking hardware.

Wireless Router Reviews: Best Wireless Router

Last edited by Diesel Monkey; 10-03-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM

k i will give them a look into
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 AM

I have had many problems with those exact linksys routers. They had a couple different board revisions as well as firmware revisions, and I haven't found one that is completely stable. I have seven of them in my one office and it took me a good couple days of changing firmwares and configurations to get them to work properly.

Dlink is a good lower cost brand. I'm personally partial to Netgear for low to mid-level networking equipment.

As long as your topology meets your current bandwidth needs, I would keep the setup the same, just replace the equipment with more robust devices.

If I may suggest,

-a Netgear VG318 for your firewall/switch/wireless (also has VPN capabilities), OR a FWG114P firewall/switch/wireless that has a built in USB print server
-a Netgear WG302 for both your wireless repeater and as the bridge to your other office

-your local IT manager/Network Engineer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.