Computer Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Weberman3
Computer Build

So I'm thinking about building a computer.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Not sure about the motherboard in that package. Then I'm thinking my custom build.
Newegg.com - APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT
Newegg.com - Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

Also does anybody know how to come up with a power supply number? I'm thinking: Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply or Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 PM

What are you building for? Do you play games, edit video, or any of that sort of stuff or do you just browse the webs and watch movies? (I see no graphics card and I see tons of RAM.)

It's been a couple years since I built my PC so I'm still lagging behind on the newest and latest stuff. I was able to build a budget PC for my cousin with $600 - but he's using it for video games... I used PCPartPicker which was cool because it allowed me to search for compatible hardware while showing me the websites that sell it (newegg, amazon, etc) and for how much.

As far as power supply, if things haven't changed, then you definitely want an 80 Plus Bronze Certified... I think anything more than Bronze is just a waste... could be wrong though.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mostly web browsing. I usually have alot of tabs open, and switching back and forth from them sometimes can take awhile. If I'm really bored I might play a game, but it will be on the web. Also I'm building this thing to last awhile, note the 3.6GHz Quad processor, my 2.1 dual processor is good for me now, but that actually was the lowest priced processor in an AM3+ socket. The next cheapest is a 4.2GHz Quad processor , then a six-core, then a eight-core.

I was looking at video cards and found the cheapest PCI Express 2.0x16 (since I'm not going to be gaming) and it apparently plays Battlefield pretty well. Also has 2 monitors and a mini HDMI.
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1431-KR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I used to like Gigabyte, then I had three boards catch fire, one as soon as I got it back from repair after the first fire. They ended up trying to replace it with a older model and it took a few months of my time before I got something equivilant.
I prefer Intel MB's for workstations, Asus for overclocked workstations and Supermicro for my servers. Last AMD I used was a K6-3, so I can't help much there. On the hard drive, why the RE4? It's a RAID edition drive with TLER disabled, your better off with a standard drive unless your planning on a array. If you can swing it, get a 120+ GB SSD for the OS and programs and a larger mechanical drive for everything else, you will see a huge improvement.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Interesting you say that. From the reviews that I read, ASUS are the ones that like to catch fire. Western Digital apparently is one of the few reliable hard drives left. My friend told me that Seagates were horrible and after reading some of the reviews they are. Some have 4 stars which I didnt think that was bad so i clicked on the feed back and the 5 stars was like 52% and the 1 star was at 37%. So then I thought okay, Samsung and WD. AFter reading of some of Samsung's reviews apparently Seagate makes them now. So now its just WD with a nice 5 year warranty.
How about this then?
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The black edition would be a better choice for you. I stopped using WD after the RE2 due to all the TLER issues they had and went Hitachi. Got 25 of them running on my primary server without issue but that's a bit different than running one standalone. Seagate had major firmware issues a few years ago but all the brands have had some bad years. Newegg is also known for not packing drives correctly so you will see alot of bad reviews based of DOA drives that arn't the manufacturors fault. Check out storage review for some better reviews on drives or ask around on a tech site like hardocp.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I kept reading on the WD reviews that it wasn't there fault the drives were bad it was Newegg not having good packaging. So I might order from somewhere else on the drive. Don't know where yet though.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Tigerdirect.com is my main alternative to newegg for computer parts. Be sure to check out their barebones setups, since you can sometimes find some decent packages for reasonable prices. Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I work on computers for my job and have built several. Pc components are just like vehicle components - there's always stories about specific brands having problems but you'll get a million stories. I just built my rig a year ago and spent too much in my mind but love it. Like you ( the creator of this thread ) I mostly use it for Internet but I have music on it and so on. I have an asus crosshair IV with the amd six core processor and 16gb of ram, 1tb harddrive for data and 128gb ssd for operating system, 1000 watt psu and 1gb ddr5 graphics card - it's a solid built that can last my 6-10 years in my mind.

What you described above would be a hat build. As another person stated I don't see a graphics card but the mobo, psu, CPU are all good

I'm currently building an intel set up now with an i5 for fun. If you do build something that's a sweet set up like you wrote above so,etching cool you can do with it is utilize it for scientific research in its down time.....

You'll download a program that's free through the university of Berkly I think called "boinc"
With it you can use your computer power to crunch numbers for science- you choose the different projects you want to participate with. I'm crunching numbers for help discovery cures for diseases and crunching numbers for searching for pulsars etc there's a bunch of programs so when I'm not using my computer when I'm at work or asleep I feel it's been used worth wild
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weberman3 View Post
So I'm thinking about building a computer.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Not sure about the motherboard in that package. Then I'm thinking my custom build.
Newegg.com - APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT
Newegg.com - Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

Also does anybody know how to come up with a power supply number? I'm thinking: Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply or Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
take my word for it.. for 200 bucks the FX-8350 is totally worth it and it'll be more future proof.. its an 8 core. and if your going for a graphics card something like these are good:
Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 11201-00-20G Video Card - Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews
this is the best you can get for under 100 bucks:
Newegg.com - MSI R7750-PMD2GD3 Radeon HD 7750 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Taxi View Post
I work on computers for my job and have built several. Pc components are just like vehicle components - there's always stories about specific brands having problems but you'll get a million stories. I just built my rig a year ago and spent too much in my mind but love it. Like you ( the creator of this thread ) I mostly use it for Internet but I have music on it and so on. I have an asus crosshair IV with the amd six core processor and 16gb of ram, 1tb harddrive for data and 128gb ssd for operating system, 1000 watt psu and 1gb ddr5 graphics card - it's a solid built that can last my 6-10 years in my mind.

What you described above would be a hat build. As another person stated I don't see a graphics card but the mobo, psu, CPU are all good

I'm currently building an intel set up now with an i5 for fun. If you do build something that's a sweet set up like you wrote above so,etching cool you can do with it is utilize it for scientific research in its down time.....

You'll download a program that's free through the university of Berkly I think called "boinc"
With it you can use your computer power to crunch numbers for science- you choose the different projects you want to participate with. I'm crunching numbers for help discovery cures for diseases and crunching numbers for searching for pulsars etc there's a bunch of programs so when I'm not using my computer when I'm at work or asleep I feel it's been used worth wild
i got an AMD phenom II x6 @ 4.1GHz, 16GB @1600MHz memory, 2x1TB 7200RPM in raid 0, 1250WATT PSU, Dual 6970s @900MHz core, an MSI MB with Dual Nics built it teamed to make a 2Gb/S connection, ad a Noctua NH-D14 cooler

Last edited by kendallcschm; 12-08-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.