Computer Build - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Taxi View Post
I'm currently building an intel set up now with an i5 for fun. If you do build something that's a sweet set up like you wrote above so,etching cool you can do with it is utilize it for scientific research in its down time.....

You'll download a program that's free through the university of Berkly I think called "boinc"
With it you can use your computer power to crunch numbers for science- you choose the different projects you want to participate with. I'm crunching numbers for help discovery cures for diseases and crunching numbers for searching for pulsars etc there's a bunch of programs so when I'm not using my computer when I'm at work or asleep I feel it's been used worth wild
Be careful with the DC projects, they will make your power bill go up both from the extra power to run your system and cooling the house with the extra heat from the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Taxi View Post
I work on computers for my job and have built several. Pc components are just like vehicle components - there's always stories about specific brands having problems but you'll get a million stories. I just built my rig a year ago and spent too much in my mind but love it. Like you ( the creator of this thread ) I mostly use it for Internet but I have music on it and so on. I have an asus crosshair IV with the amd six core processor and 16gb of ram, 1tb harddrive for data and 128gb ssd for operating system, 1000 watt psu and 1gb ddr5 graphics card - it's a solid built that can last my 6-10 years in my mind.

What you described above would be a hat build. As another person stated I don't see a graphics card but the mobo, psu, CPU are all good

I'm currently building an intel set up now with an i5 for fun. If you do build something that's a sweet set up like you wrote above so,etching cool you can do with it is utilize it for scientific research in its down time.....

You'll download a program that's free through the university of Berkly I think called "boinc"
With it you can use your computer power to crunch numbers for science- you choose the different projects you want to participate with. I'm crunching numbers for help discovery cures for diseases and crunching numbers for searching for pulsars etc there's a bunch of programs so when I'm not using my computer when I'm at work or asleep I feel it's been used worth wild
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Be careful with the DC projects, they will make your power bill go up both from the extra power to run your system and cooling the house with the extra heat from the system.
i run 4 servers with FAH and i haven't noticed a bigger bump... i saw a bigger bump when my sister came back from college with all her hair straightening things and blow dryers! and mini fridge!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

It really depends on what you run. I have a 45u rack that is overflowing with dual processor quad and hex core Intel processors. When I lived in CA and put up with the ridiculous tiered rate structure it made my bill change by about $100/mo. I stopped when GPU's were starting to take over so I can't say how much juice they draw but something tells me it would be worse. My main workstation is a bit old at this point but a single 6 core i7 and a pair of 2GB 560 Ti's will draw about 3a more as soon as I start a game.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
It really depends on what you run. I have a 45u rack that is overflowing with dual processor quad and hex core Intel processors. When I lived in CA and put up with the ridiculous tiered rate structure it made my bill change by about $100/mo. I stopped when GPU's were starting to take over so I can't say how much juice they draw but something tells me it would be worse. My main workstation is a bit old at this point but a single 6 core i7 and a pair of 2GB 560 Ti's will draw about 3a more as soon as I start a game.
but the OP doesn't have that.. which is my point.. and don't see a jump running it on a few servers so why would he see one with a single little mid range computer.. besides its always good to contribute to the world.. even if it costs you a tad..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM

I have more fun in the sense knowing my single six core processor and my gpu are crunching information for science ... I'm a huge science nerd so an extra 40-75 a month meh
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

There's nothing wrong with doing it, just want to make sure he knows it may affect his power bill. I am already $300/mo during the winter just because of the servers and a dedicated AC unit other wise I would still be running SETI.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM

To OP,

If you still have questions about your CPU build, feel free to PM me.

- Dom
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check out website gcworkshop.com. they have online configurator for your browsing. Great prices too.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my96imp View Post
Check out website gcworkshop.com. they have online configurator for your browsing. Great prices too.
i think the point is to build the computer not have it built for us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.