outdoor security cameras - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
outdoor security cameras

I have crime back in the area and i want to install some cameras that can pull double duty. I want not only to see who's outside, but to be alerted my a motion sensor when someone is on my property. Anyone have any setups like this? I know my one neighbor has cameras and the motion sensor hooked to an alarm in the house to alert him. I don't talk to him so i don't know what kind they are. I don't have thousands to spend on industrial cameras, but what is a good quality camera? There are so many online and most look like they aren't worth a hoot. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use the iCam app. You can use four web cams, hear sound and can be set to start recording when it sees motion and you can check in on your cams anytime anywhere on your iPhone. Web cams are cheap, heck you can even use the one built into your laptop if you want. I found out about it from a news clip where a person had their laptop stolen and it was recovered because the app stored the pics of the thief. If you want night vision and remote controlled camera positioning you can get iBaby, the name and app icon picture would be embarrassing though, but then a lot of guys consider their trucks their "Baby" anyway. LOL

Last edited by Term3; 07-13-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I will check them out!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

We had someone vandalize our brand new 5th wheel and me being the redneck that I am I took my trail cameras for game scouting and zip tied them to the rain gutters on the house, set them for 30 second delay and checked the ad cards every few days. Saw neighbors throwing there lawn clippings in my trash cans, saw the neighbor kid sneak out his house a few times, we even got pictures of someone taking a leak in our carport. We have a motion sensor set up in the drive way that will beep when someone breaks the beam. Bought the sensor at lowes for about $100 bucks, the cameras can be had for under a $100 all the way up to several hundred for ones that email you whenever they get pictures. The cameras are motion activated and will do still photo or video. I bought mine at cabelas for like $150 a pop. They will go a LONG time on a set of batteries and don't need to be professionally installed. Just thought I'd share my redneck security idea. Maybe it'll work for you. The cameras I have are made by a company called spypoint.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 AM

I thought about the trail cams, but i don't know if if have a place to mount them that they will not be seen at stolen. Can you turn the flash off on them so its not noticeable that a pic was taken? I do love the idea though! A lot cheaper than permanent cameras.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 AM

I bought Swain brand cameras and DVR $ 499 at best buy
I really wanted to get it hooked up to the internet and my phone before leaving for Hawaii

but the customer service sucked and I didn't get that far but the cameras did their job
and I had them set to go off during motion events ,, the DVR can also be set to sound a chime during the event or even send an email ,,

you can set up different sensitivities and schedule different modes for different cameras like always record / record during motion or a daily combo of each

When I got home I only saw the neighbor knock on my door and a couple of bird events LOL
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Long Member

I recently got an alarm system with motion cameras. They are made for inside the house and work great. The one they gave me that will pan & tilt I stuck in the upstairs window shooting the driveway and front door. It has a good picture during the day but its crap at night. Even with 2 100w floods it totally dark.

I would suggest something with low light capabilities. Looks like they can be had for less than $150 on eBay. Just do a search for "IP Camera".

I may have to expand the system.

Cool being able to view on the phone tho... Hummm; I wonder if the wifes home? Hey!! Thats not MY powerstroke!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 PM

There is a lot to cameras. Your budget is the limit. Residential style setups are mostly analog. Find a combo that is within your price range. A lot of recorders have alarm inputs that can be hooked to a motion sensor. Depending on the recorder it can increase frame rate, resolution, or send an email if you have a network cable linked to it. Usually the cheap combo setups like at Sams Club, Costco, etc are limited by the cameras. Buy something within your price range and try to find one with some IR led cameras for night vision. If your budget allows later then try upgrading one camera at a time for something better. Everfocus makes some decent cameras for their price. Sony and Panasonic come with a price to match, but are very good. You can also buy a pc based recorder which installs a pci card in your home computer and has the inputs for cameras. It will record to your hard drive. The camera makes the biggest difference in the quality of the video.

Everfocus makes a decent recorder (4 channel) that will record on motion, but just the recorder will cost about $250 if you search around online. Then you need to look for cameras, power supply, cable. Thats why an all-in-one package is best to start since they include everything and you can upgrade what you feel are the weak links from there.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Good info. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.