COMPUTER GEEKS!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM
scuffs *****

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
COMPUTER GEEKS!!!!

So hear me out. For those of you who have a PS3 will know what I am talking about... maybe. Here is my situation, and I may not even have one. I have no idea. My cable modem is a gateway. It is wireless also. But I am not concerned about the wireless. Here is my thing, If you have heard of TVersity, you will know that is shares video and audio files over a network. What i need to do is, well I don't know. My modem (which is a gateway) is on the main floor of my house. It has a PS3 hardwired to it. I have a desktop on the 2nd floor hardwired to a router (which is getting its internet signal from the modem/gateway hardwired). How can I put my desktop and my PS3 on the same Local Network so I can share video and music? Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You just need to create routes between the two networks. Simple stuff.

If you can get those kind of upload speeds you should be able to figure out simple routing...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
You just need to create routes between the two networks. Simple stuff.

If you can get those kind of upload speeds you should be able to figure out simple routing...
Idk, thats why I'm asking you for help.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Slacker

The types of routes are dependent on the router and which routing protocols are supported. Static routes are the simplest and since you only have two networks, you would only have 2 static routes (one on each router). I have included a link to probably the simplest walk through for how to do it on the most common router.

LINK
Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM

But is he even able to manage those routers? A lot of times a nonbusiness class router wont give you access to routing tables (and even business class routers lock it down if you dont purchase the equipment outright). Also are they even able to talk over the same subnet? Doubtful. You would have to add routes via public IP which is going t change unless you have managed DNS (unlikely), and even then you will have to set up port forwarding since it is going to NAT the traffic.

Why have two modems? Get a wireless router for the modem downstairs and the PS3 should have wireless built in to be able to connect to the wireless router. That is going to put you on the same subnet and they should be able to talk no problem.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wberry85 View Post
But is he even able to manage those routers? A lot of times a nonbusiness class router wont give you access to routing tables (and even business class routers lock it down if you dont purchase the equipment outright). Also are they even able to talk over the same subnet? Doubtful. You would have to add routes via public IP which is going t change unless you have managed DNS (unlikely), and even then you will have to set up port forwarding since it is going to NAT the traffic.

Why have two modems? Get a wireless router for the modem downstairs and the PS3 should have wireless built in to be able to connect to the wireless router. That is going to put you on the same subnet and they should be able to talk no problem.
Good call. I was thinking it was two residential routers.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:

I dont have two modems. My modem downstairs is a gateway. Wireless doesn't reach all the way to the second floor. Plus I'm one of them people who dont like wireless. And wireless is very flakey in my house. The walls are made on freakin' stone.

But what I'm getting is its not possible I suupose?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM

I am not sure what you mean by "gateway"...First you say its not a modem and then you say the modem is a gateway. Confusing?? I'll just assume it is a regular cable modem.

Does the picture below accurately depict your setup?

What make/model is your modem? One thing thats strange is your modem has more than out ethernet port, but thats what you could mean by gateway (it does routing + modem in one box)

So if thats the case, you have two options...

1. Put the router upstairs in bridge mode. This means it will only act like a bridge and just let the traffic pass through and essentially act like a switch. It might be easier to just ditch the router upstairs and just put a switch up there anyways if you have multple devices upstairs that need internet.

2. Give the router an IP on the same subnet. So lets say your modem downstairs is giving a LAN IP of 192.168.1.0-255. You can probably see that by looking at the IP settings on the PS3. You could set the router upstairs to have a 192.168.1.XXX IP address. Right now it is probably running its own network with a different subnet (192.168.2.0-255) On your desktop you can go to Start > Run... > cmd and in command prompt type ipconfig. Then compare the IP on the PC to the PS3 IP. They need to start with the same 3 numbers.

Sounds like the switch would be the easiest option. The router is overkill and it actually causing more issues I am guessing.
Attached Thumbnails
COMPUTER GEEKS!!!!-house.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Gateway is a modem with wireless capabilities. I second the switch notion since you don't like wireless, get a decent 4-8 port unmanaged switch and it will be plug and play.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by "gateway"...First you say its not a modem and then you say the modem is a gateway. Confusing?? I'll just assume it is a regular cable modem.

Does the picture below accurately depict your setup?

What make/model is your modem? One thing thats strange is your modem has more than out ethernet port, but thats what you could mean by gateway (it does routing + modem in one box)

So if thats the case, you have two options...

1. Put the router upstairs in bridge mode. This means it will only act like a bridge and just let the traffic pass through and essentially act like a switch. It might be easier to just ditch the router upstairs and just put a switch up there anyways if you have multple devices upstairs that need internet.

2. Give the router an IP on the same subnet. So lets say your modem downstairs is giving a LAN IP of 192.168.1.0-255. You can probably see that by looking at the IP settings on the PS3. You could set the router upstairs to have a 192.168.1.XXX IP address. Right now it is probably running its own network with a different subnet (192.168.2.0-255) On your desktop you can go to Start > Run... > cmd and in command prompt type ipconfig. Then compare the IP on the PC to the PS3 IP. They need to start with the same 3 numbers.

Sounds like the switch would be the easiest option. The router is overkill and it actually causing more issues I am guessing.
It is a Motorola eXtreme Gateway. SBG6580 Wifi Moto Gateway is what its called. This is what it looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.