Computer can't see camera - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Computer can't see camera

Howdy All,
I have lost my mind jacking with the idiots at Kodak. If they are going to ship the customer service jobs over to India can't they at least give them English lessons???? I am done ranting. Anyways, the reason I am posting this is because my computer doesn't see my Kodak camera anymore, which means I can't load pictures. Can a camera get a virus? I have tried deleting the kodak programs and reinstalling them, tried the kodak downloads from the website but nothing. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

happeetxn it could be ur sim card but highly unlikely go to start cp add new hardware. it might be u lost the driver? try reinstalling the drivers
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I lost my Kodak software on my last recovery and havn't re-installed it. I just use my card reader to load pisc. Are the batteries good in the camera, and have you tried rebooting the computer?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is this a USB device? If it is, find a different USB device (Borrow a mouse) and plug it into the same port you plug in the camera. See if windows sees anything on that port, it won't hurt to have two mice pluged in at the same time.

The problem may be the drivers for the USB ports.

This is a good service for finding drivers: Drivers HeadQuarters for Vista Drivers, XP Drivers, Driver Detective | Driver Update Technology

It used to be $20 for life, I think it costs more now. I have not found any other that works as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappeetxnR.N. View Post
Howdy All,
I have lost my mind jacking with the idiots at Kodak. If they are going to ship the customer service jobs over to India can't they at least give them English lessons???? I am done ranting. Anyways, the reason I am posting this is because my computer doesn't see my Kodak camera anymore, which means I can't load pictures. Can a camera get a virus? I have tried deleting the kodak programs and reinstalling them, tried the kodak downloads from the website but nothing. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Craig
Troubleshooting the Computer: This is the quickest and easiest thing to do. Computers, and most definately USB Hubs, USB ROOT Hubs, and USB device drivers get "confused" to put it in country terms, kuz I am a Kuntry BOY!

Solution:: Switch USB ports on the computer, and try the old reboot!

If this doesn't help proceed to Step two below

Troubleshooting the Camera: If your camera sees the stick ,then the problem is most likely the drivers,the cable or the Camera's USB port (Least Likely).

Solution: Getting a USB card reader will eliminate the driver problem from ever being a problem again, if it is the camera's cable, gettin a card reader, will eliminate this problem as well. A card reader will also help the batteries; instead of draining the batteries EXTREMELY fast it uses the computer to power the card reader!

Side Note#1: I would NEVER hook your camera to your computer. I have two Nikon DSLR's they NEVER have seen a USB cord. This should solve all of the above problems.

Side Note #2: Also if you can do without the Kodak Share software remove it. It has known issues, and has been known to significantly slow or crash machines.

If this doesn't help proceed to Step three below

Troubleshooting the Flash Card: If everything above checks out then all that is left is your memory.

Solution: Buy Brand Name Memory with lifetime warranty. Corsair, Kingston, PNY, and Memorex should all have lifetime warranties, but check and make sure, by specific manufacturer, and model.

Side Note #1:This is not permenant memory, thus the name "FLASH" memory. This is a common mistake made these days. With Flash cards, it is not IF they will fail, but when. They should NEVER be a single point of failure for you. Make sure you have backups! Some memories cannot be replaced!

Side Note #2: Memory cards have a TREMENDOUSLY high fail rate, most do not last one full year. I am basing this on contact with many thousands of Flash Memory devices, not just personal use, but IT Support.

I should qualify my answer by saying that I have over 18 years in the computer industry, and I am currently a Consultant for a Fortune 50 company. As well as a recently retired Network Engineer for the Mid Region of Iraq for KBR from Tikrit to Kirkuk for two years. I also hold the following Certificates:

Cisco
Microsoft
HP
Compaq
Dell

Camera Virus: It is not impossible for a Camera to get a virus, but the only way it could happen is if you were storing files (something you transfered there, not a picture that was taken on the camera) on the internal memory. If the Flash Memory card got a virus, it would most likely not have problem, unless something has changed recently in the virus (which it could have, but I doubt it) You would most likely only get a virus from file transfers on the flash card as well( not picture transfer).

Side note:: If you get a Card reader the Flash card will show up like a hard instead of a camera, and you can scan it like a hard drive.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by robertcarmel; 08-30-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Turnin' JP8 into noise!

I had the same problem with my old Fuji...never got it to work. Seemed to be only on my computer, too. The USB card readers are much easier to use anyhow and they only cost a few bucks. Just plug the memory card into the reader and copy/cut into your pictures folder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.