Decent/Cheap Laptop??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Decent/Cheap Laptop???

OK...so I've been thinking...my current laptop is dead, and has been for a few years now. I would LOVE to get a new one. I've been seeing all the back-to-school sales on laptops on TV and was wondering what anyone suggests.

Here is what I would do with it:
DL Music to my iPod
internet
Pics

That is about it. We have Verizon Fios at home with Fiber Internet...so my connection isn't a problem. We also have a wireless connection...so I wouldn't have to run any cable up to my room. I would be using it on the road too; to DL directions/DL pics off of my camera, etc. I don't want anything too big. If it will fit in the center console of the truck, that would be PERFECT!!!

I would like to spend less than $500...but I MIGHT be able to go a little more than that. I'm going to go have my harddrive from my Apple put on some DVDs so I can transfer all my stuff to the new one.

Anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dell and Gateway make a couple decent ones for about 600 bucks. Check out their websites. I used to have an HP that was ok until somebody spilled beer on it now it only works when plugged in
Old 08-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Larry bought a Toshiba from Best Buy. Its an extra for in the shop. No problems with it yet. He has had for probably 4 months. I think you can find some deals on TigerDirect or something like that.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:15 PM

check out wal-mart, seen a commercial for them today about laptops....they are usually pretty cheap, my HP cost about $1600. but it has a 17 wide screen..
Old 08-18-2007, 07:29 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Yeah...I don't need a 17"er. I'd be happy with a 12" monitor. I have a 17" flat screen at home as well as a keyboard and mouse...(Wireless is cool!!)

Like I said...if it will fit in the center console, has a WiFi card, and a decent processor with a 60+ gig HD and some good memory...I'll be happy.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
check out dell.com and build an inspiron 1501 they start out at $499 and have a decent option list
Old 08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to SgtStroked7.3
yeah, i have a dell XPS... its got a 12" screen and its really light... the only downside is that it cost me $2000.. my fiancee just bought one from wal-mart for around $600 and she loves it. maybe try Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! they might sell laptops cheap, im not sure. hope u find what ur lookin for!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 AM

As far as brands, for cheap and reliable - Dell or Toshiba. As far as features, you'll have to check the website or your local best buy or comp usa, etc. as the manufacturers are changing/adding things all the time.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Big Daddy!

Bare NONE Tigerdirect has GREAT prices! This one is a Special! TigerDirect.com
it is a refurb'd Gateway. Gateway has had a bad rep in the past, but my current note is a Gateway laptop, and it is a single core, and it benchmarks faster than the Dual core 3.0GHZ desktop that I bought for my wife! I LOVE the new Gateway lappies! I have supported notebooks for well over 15 years, and EVERY brand has had thier share of problems! TigerDirect is a reputable company, and thier products are very good! Check out thier prices on LCD TV's as well!!! Good luck! I saw a AWESOME Lappie at Office depot as well for $549 ... HP LOADED (15.4") 160GB HD - 2GB RAM dual 1.6ghz DVD DL +\- RW WiFi, I do not know if that was a one only sale, but it was nice, and local as well!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
i just got my dell and love it ..but it was quite a bit more then 500 bux.. I customized it and went with a 17"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.