Need help with Hard drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Need help with Hard drive

Hey I bought a new hard drive for my computer. I need some help installing it.

It is a Western Digital 160gb 7200 rpm. Can some one help me I can not get my computer to reckongize this harddrive I am using it for a back up drive. As in I am going to save everything on my primary drive to this drive. Then if my computer crashes I can reformat the orginal harddrive and reload everything off the secondary harddrive. But I need some help setting it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
well if it doesnt reconizes it, it may not be set as a slave. Check the jumper settings on the hard drive and make sure it is the slave. also not to sound dumb make sure both cables are plugged into it, i.e. the data cable and the power cable
Old 07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

BC. I have one of them (mine is a 120gb). 1st, you must use the short USB cord that came with it. 2nd, It must be plugged into one of the computer USB ports - not to a multi-hub. Did yours come with an optional power supply (probably not)?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:43 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
BC. I have one of them (mine is a 120gb). 1st, you must use the short USB cord that came with it. 2nd, It must be plugged into one of the computer USB ports - not to a multi-hub. Did yours come with an optional power supply (probably not)?
It is an internal harddrive Big al, it does not have usb
Old 07-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Sorry about that. I have a WD Passport portable HD. I was on the wrong track. Let me back off. Somebody will get you going.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
well if it doesnt reconizes it, it may not be set as a slave. Check the jumper settings on the hard drive and make sure it is the slave. also not to sound dumb make sure both cables are plugged into it, i.e. the data cable and the power cable

The jumper setting is just like the old one I am replacing I have it set up and the hard drive is running and everything is plugged in. Just the computer is not reckonizing the hard drive. Could it be the fact that it is the same hard drive as my primary one.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
Sorry about that. I have a WD Passport portable HD. I was on the wrong track. Let me back off. Somebody will get you going.
No big deal buddy.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
The jumper setting is just like the old one I am replacing I have it set up and the hard drive is running and everything is plugged in. Just the computer is not reckonizing the hard drive. Could it be the fact that it is the same hard drive as my primary one.
BC, Your original hard drive jumpers should be set to master and the new one should be set to slave. You may also have to go into the BIOS and enable the secondary IDE channel before it will recognize the drive. If this doesn't work, you might try putting the jumpers as cable select, but this rarely works and I only ever use it when hard setting the jumpers doesn't work. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

i would just take it back and buy a protable harddrive for my back up source. that way when you go over to friends and family you can just plug and play with the hard drive. just my 2 cents. sorry scott i can't help you. i am sure we have some computer guys on here.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i added a hard drive to my computer, when i did i made sure i unplugged the old one, then the plug that came out of the old one went into the new one, then the old hard drive was plugged in with the slave end of the cable. if you look on the cable that goes into the hard drive and system board it will tell you which end is slave, master, and system board end. plug each connecter to the respective drive and it should recognize it then. if not then insert the cd and install the hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.