any linux guru here? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any linux guru here?

i am tryign to run vmware server in DSL. im gettign an error tellingmy i need another 5mb or so of disk space in /usr/bin. i have plenty of free space where it is located on hda2.

hope someone is out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
i am tryign to run vmware server in DSL. im gettign an error tellingmy i need another 5mb or so of disk space in /usr/bin. i have plenty of free space where it is located on hda2.

hope someone is out there...
You ever get it working? If not, post the actual error text up here and the output of "df -h". Not sure I can give you all the answers, but hopefully I can push you in the right direction!

Also, if it's just VMWare you want to run, have you tried ESXi? It's free: Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor: Bare Metal Hypervisor (Based on VMware ESXi)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

+1 to ESXi unless you need the linux back-end for something. VMWare Server (formerly VMWare GSX) works well in Ubuntu, I have used it on Ubuntu 9 and up desktop and it ran well. If you are trying to be minimalist about it, I would go for Ubuntu Server and run it on that.

With that being said, if you want to continue on your path, post the df -h like MasterOfTheHat said.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another option and actually my preference, is VirtualBox. Runs great on Ubuntu...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM

im trying ubuntu minimal now. I prefer DSL as im just expiriementign at the moment, and will have a server i can mess with down the road and more resopurces. im limited to 1.7GHz and 1GB ram at the moment.

I tried ESXi already but i dont have the hardware on the HCL. this is a spare Dell Latitude D510 at work.

i have another spare workstation, dual core 2GB but dont want to take it down until i know for sure how to get VMware running on a minimal linux load.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gotcha, yeah that is an issue with the ESX. Those are some pretty minimal specs, are you just toying around with it because with VMWare, expecially if you are going to run Linux based Guests (the Virtual Machines), 1 GB wont get you very far. VirtualBox is an option. Another one , maybe since its been a while since I've looked into it, could be Xen. I know since Citrix bought the rights, things have been a little wierd, but maybe they have a new free version now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM

yes, jsut messing aroudn for the momwent. we use Xen, and ESX/VSphere here at work. but i want something i can jack around with at home, mess with iscsi sans and such. i dont get much expirience with that at work, its all after hours when i cant come in.

so i have my eye out for some cheap servers with decent cpu that i can load up with ram.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you have a iscsi san that you can connect to? if not, there is a sourceforge project I used to use a while back that was basically a boot floppy or USB that would use afailable disk space that you could serve out as SMB, NFS, and I believe they were working on an iSCSI target when I quit using it. Here is the link to it freenas [FreeNAS].

If you could get your hands on a newer laptop or desktop, ESXi would work on it. You will not see any laptops or desktops on VMWares HCL, but for ESX or ESXi to install, all you really need is a processor that supports Intel VT or AMD-V. Also, more than likely, ESX(i) will not recognize a SATA controller and eventhough it will recognize IDE, you cannot format an IDE drive with VMFS so you will need some sort of external storage (just to get your feet wet, it could be another machine with a NFS mount point). Anyway, if VMWare is what you really want to learn, see if they have something you could use as 'testing' for a while. I went through similar pains at my work until I had gotten high enough now I almost get what I need now.... almost. I have been managing VMWare for a while now but slow adoption rates has my implementation stuck in its infancy (7 ESX on blades, 42 Guests, etc...)

If I can help out, I would be happy to.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

"MasterOfTheHat" your name wouldn't be geared toward "RedHat" would it? Ubuntu is my favorite, other then OS X. And BTW I used to be an ISP network admin/Owner and PC tech. Got tired of working on my own crap! Now I only use MS when I have to, otherwise it's apple all the way.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend_warrior1999 View Post
"MasterOfTheHat" your name wouldn't be geared toward "RedHat" would it? Ubuntu is my favorite, other then OS X. And BTW I used to be an ISP network admin/Owner and PC tech. Got tired of working on my own crap! Now I only use MS when I have to, otherwise it's apple all the way.
Haha! No, not Red Hat. It's a nickname I picked up because of the Aussie/fedora style hat I always wear. I have to help support Red Hat Enterprise Linux, (RHEL), at work, but I'm actually Windows support guy. My personal laptop runs Ubuntu, though, and has for a few years now. And I can't justify spending the money for a Mac, even though I'd love to have one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.