Cell phone providers... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cell phone providers...

Guys,

I like my iPhone, but I'm not partial to it, and I'm getting sick of AT&T and frankly, I'm not interested in switching to Verizon. They want too much for their service, and seem to have a lot of restrictions at the same time, like on phone apps, etc.

I'm STRONGLY considering moving over to a Droid instead of my iPhone4.

I want to hear from people that travel a lot in rural areas... big cities are a given, but what do you guys think of Sprint? I live in Iowa and travel to remote areas of Wisconsin, Colorado, Nebraska, etc. a lot. I expect to not have coverage in some of the more remote locations, but I'd like to find a provider that strikes a better balance than AT&T. Phone reception is most important, then data.

What would you recommend? I like the Droid Evo (I think that's what it's called) from Sprint, but I'm just curious what I'm getting into for coverage before I make the plunge and sign a new contract.

Thanks in advance for the good input - let's hear it all, good and bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have verizon for 6 years now so cant help you to much.. had sprint before though for a year didnt like there service.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 PM

I would get the HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. Service should not be an issue. Good luck..
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
around here, Boost Mobile works by far the best! Only lost signal on the blue ridge parkway a couple times and that was about it!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not one person I know who bought an iphone4 kept it, they all returned them for poor service which is at&ts fault, but certainly not worth the monthly cost. I also heard that even though it was a great phone, it still had stupid faults that apple should have never put out, besides the antenna problem.

I have an HTC hero now and its great. If HTC doesn't come out with any new phones by the end of next year when my 2 year contract is up and I get $120 towards a new phone for signing up again, I will definitely go with the htc evo 4g. I've heard nothing but great things.

As far as service, I have sprint and won't change if I can help it. Sprint has had a bad rap in the past, but they have really changed. I have dropped a call once with this hero, no bs. I get 3g internet coverage (this is a 3g phone) pretty much everywhere (even out at the farm, 10 miles from a highway)

I had full service with 3g to and from michigan this summer on the back highways, a buddy that had an iphone 4 (he returned it) had no service to and from, or while we were there. We were several miles from towers so mine wasn't great, but it was there.

I'd consider sprint and anything made by htc
Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasaliac03 View Post
around here, Boost Mobile works by far the best! Only lost signal on the blue ridge parkway a couple times and that was about it!
Boost, Virgin, and all the other small brands are sprint network based.

To the OP, here, and in most of berkeley county, you have full 3g coverage with ATT, little to no tmobile service, verizon 1x, and sprint 3g with decent service. To me, Sprint and Verizon are rather worthless, especially if you ever plan to travel out of the US, even if its just to canada or mexico as the rest of the world uses GSM networks like ATT and tmobile. And to be honest, if you look at the signal strength in dBm, it will be lower on any iphone than the majority of other phones like a BB bold or one of the cheap samsung touchscreen phones. One other minor gripe about sprint/verizon, the lack of sim card use, which makes data backup and switching phones tons easier.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hmmm... well, yeah, I'd agree that the iPhone 4 is not all it's cracked up to be. Seems like Apple is losing a bit of their edge these days, maybe too much success is keeping them from seeing the flaws as well as they've done in the past. Time for them to wake up. I've never like a company that wouldn't admit their mistakes.
Mistakes are allowed... not owning up to them isn't, in my book. That's why I think I'm hesitant to go to Verizon, too... good company, good service, just maybe a little more pride there than they should have... of course, that's all subjective, nothing concrete here.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
I have verizon and we never have a problem, when I had sprint back in 2000 or so it was horrible but I know a lot of people who use them now and have no problems. I have one of the original droid eris's and it's still a neat phone and I can guarantee that whatever phone I get in the future will certainly be HTC
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 AM

All cell phone's have advantages and disadvantages, first look at what you are planning on using it for, (IE) internet text wifi hot spot, etc. Verizon (dr.oid) is not only the name of the phone but also indicates the operating system, AT&T also uses android operating system on the samsung line of phones, after the first on the year Verizon will be offering the IPHONE also, also the calling plans vary AT&T has roll over. some time the COOL factor is more phone than most people need
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM

i have a gzone boulder on page plus (mvno of verizon) u can also use any other verizon phone that isnt a black berry or one that was on verizin prepaid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.