which method of backup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool which method of backup

This is my current setup. 2 1TB raid 1.

i still want 1 more method of backup. either another computer with a tb or use a tape drive? or an external hdd?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
External USB 2.0. You can get an External 1TB Drive for $80 on Newegg. Or you can up it to External 2TB Drive for a bit over $100. 2.0 isnt all that fast but since this is just a backup drive you can set up to run in the middle of the night you dont need the speed of a USB 3.0 considering it's double the price. External drive is way too easy to set up versus trying to do it over a network with one computer or another always asleep or off or somesuch...
Old 07-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Banned

sounds good. didnt want to have a computer just for that extra copy. whats a good brand for external.

1tb min is what i need since the raid is 1tb.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 AM

I've pretty much standardized on Western Digital internal drives over the years. Never really had any problems with them. But that's just my preference. I dont think you'd go wrong with any of the bigger named drives: WD, Seagate, Hitachi. I'd presonally stay away from the cheapest, no-named drives because the price difference is really very little for what you get and for what you're trying to protect!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

well i got the WD My Book Elite 1tb but found out its not compatable with server 2003 via wd support. i either can override it and use it as a true external or... plug it into my win 7 and just network /share the drive and link it on the server.

but what backup method is best? the one built in windows, copy paste, or use the wd software?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Your best setup would be TWO esata hard drives with a pci e Hardware raid controller at 3gb second (and Biosed)....(short of buying your own SAN device that is)
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

hows this?

Newegg.com - Rosewill Silicon Image RC-209-EX PCI External e-SATA x2/ Internal SATA x4 1.5G HDD Controller Card Supports RAID0/1/5/0+1/ or un-RAID modes

Original Price: $39.99
You Save: $10.00
$29.99
$6.98 Shipping*

so if i get that, will it swap over or i would have to reformat and configure for the 2 existing hdds?

this moboard only has pcis. it doesnt have any pci ex. it does have an amr port but dont think that will work.

i can set that up in the next server when it gets built. thinking at lease dual core, 2gb ram min, and upgrade to x64
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
hows this?

Newegg.com - Rosewill Silicon Image RC-209-EX PCI External e-SATA x2/ Internal SATA x4 1.5G HDD Controller Card Supports RAID0/1/5/0+1/ or un-RAID modes

Original Price: $39.99
You Save: $10.00
$29.99
$6.98 Shipping*

so if i get that, will it swap over or i would have to reformat and configure for the 2 existing hdds?

this moboard only has pcis. it doesnt have any pci ex. it does have an amr port but dont think that will work.

i can set that up in the next server when it gets built. thinking at lease dual core, 2gb ram min, and upgrade to x64
I have a raid card made by the same company. I am reasonably sure you will need to reformat...Even if it wasnt necessary I would definately want to sever the OS dependancy that exists when you have software raid.( I learned a hard lesson about that once during the NT4.0 days...if you loose the OS that created the OBJECT...you loose the SID key to ever open it up again)
My current internal HDD is a 500 gig internal 3g ...my external 1 tb pair actually benchmark tested a little faster than the internal and its seen as a device before the OS boots up...a conveniant place for an IMAGE to reside.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

well the current setup is 1 ide 200gb for just the os and programs. 2 sata 1tb hdd(identical ones) for the software raid. and that is just for local sotrage. so would i still need to reinstall windows if i move the 2 1tb hdds to the raid card with sata connections? the os hdd wont be touched.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 AM

no...you wouldnt need to reinstall windows after adding the hardware raid setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.