upgraded comp., no boot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
upgraded comp., no boot

Have an old HP computer here but for Christmas we upgraded it. New MB, processor, RAM, CD/DVD drive, video card, PS. Still running XP 32bit on original hard drive.
The problem is, after I put everything in and booted it up, it goes though the BIOS screen then to the screen to select boot normally, or safe mode. I select ANYTHING and it goes through a very very very fast blue screen and then starts the whole thing over again.
Swapped RAM from my computer into it. Same speed sticks, DDR2 800. Still did the same thing. Swapped HDDs. My Vista HDD got past the scrolling start up bar on the bottom before the log in screen but never got to log in. I can't try the XP HDD on mine since it's an IDE drive and I don't have IDE slots. Should I try flashing the BIOS. It's v. 4.2 and they have 4.4 out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Safest bet is generally a reload of the OS. Unless replacing with the same generation (ie. P4, Core2 Duo) of processor and compatible northbridge / southbridge (esp. southbridge as that generally has the drive controllers) the installation of windows on your old hard drive tries to boot but isnt able to make it because of some pretty radical changes. Sometimes things will work but for the most part, in my experience at least, most OS's will work much better with a reload.

FYI I wouldnt touch the bios. That shouldnt be your problem in this case.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Did you make sure the RAM and processor and video card were compatible with the mother board?
I only ask cause it should have fired up with the other HD if it was a software problem.
Sorry if that sound rude but I have seen it many times.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
Safest bet is generally a reload of the OS. Unless replacing with the same generation (ie. P4, Core2 Duo) of processor and compatible northbridge / southbridge (esp. southbridge as that generally has the drive controllers) the installation of windows on your old hard drive tries to boot but isnt able to make it because of some pretty radical changes. Sometimes things will work but for the most part, in my experience at least, most OS's will work much better with a reload.

FYI I wouldnt touch the bios. That shouldnt be your problem in this case.
umm I upgraded it from an old . . . ya know I don't even know what was in it. It was a single core 2.4 GHz Pentium somthing I think. But it was a socket 448 or whatever was before the 775. So old. Upgraded to a LGA 775 Celeron Dual Core 2.2 GHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
Did you make sure the RAM and processor and video card were compatible with the mother board?
I only ask cause it should have fired up with the other HD if it was a software problem.
Sorry if that sound rude but I have seen it many times.
How do I make sure they're compatible. It's an MSI MB. A G31TM-P21. Graphics: nVidia 9400GT. RAM: PQI 2x 2GB DDR2 800.
Nope not rude
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Is your processor the celleron in the E1500 family?
If it is the hardware you have looks to be compatible....I saw a few computers with your configuration but they all had a 480W power supply, did you upgrade the power supply at the same time as everything else?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Yea it's an E1500.
The PS got upgraded also to a 350W from the 250W one.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM

I would get a hold of a computer shop and find out if 350W is big enough.
I have a funny feeling that might be your problem.

Last edited by alwil; 01-05-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Don't see why it wouldn't be. My Dell that I bought is running the crappy proprietary sized 250W PS. It handles a 9500GT, 2x2GB of RAM, 2HDDs, and a E2160 dual core Pentium at 1.8GHz. Never a problem.
The RAM is good on it, tried it on my comp. Think it might be the MB cause running JUST the new MB and RAM it wouldn't boot. But on the old MB and RAM it would.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Power supply shouldnt be an issue. Using what you've given, 1 HDD, 1 DVD drive, a couple of USB devices and a PCI card:

PSU Engine

shows your system doesnt require but 208W. I still think it's the old load of windows on the old drive looking for base drivers for chipset, etc. and not being able to find them thats causing the issue.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Shoot. I was hoping that wasn't it but I guess that's better than getting more new hardware. I need to get a second HDD for it and x64 Win7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.