Wireless internet? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Computer Geeks Gaming, Servers, Code, everything computer...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wireless internet?

Ok, i am looking at getting a laptop soon - wife took over my desktop now that she found this site and the arcade, plus i wanna be able to cruise around the forum from by deerstand Like Alan does...
so, that being said...i am pretty sure I know what I want in a laptop but I know squat about these wireless internet cards. Whats the deal with these, how much is the service and who has the best service for the lowest cost? Does the laptop need to be setup specifically for this kinda deal? Can i get a wireless account through my current DSL carrier (earthlink)?
Let me hear it...
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 AM

They can be pricy depending on what type of speed you want, mines one of the cheeper ones its about 2.5 times faster than dialup, unlimited usage for about 60 per month tax and all.
You get them from your cell phone provider, they use the same technology as your cellphone, and your local retailer should be able to set it up in the laptop.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It is Wireless Broadband Service and the service is provided by your cell phone service provider.
ie Verizon, Sprint

You need a "Wireless broadband card" which is really a "broadband modem" and it will need to be a modle that is supported by your cell phone provider.

I have our CEO setup using Verizon and it works well....the card was a hassle to get activated due to the modle Dell Laptop we had....but it works well.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Another option is to just buy a wireless router for 60 bucks and run it off your dls modem.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Another option is to just buy a wireless router for 60 bucks and run it off your dls modem.
That will only give you a wireless connection when you are in range of your router and is all you need for wireless use around the home/office.....the broadband service gives you a way to connect to the internet when you are out of range of your router.
"Like a cell phone"
RET

PS
For the wireless router connection you need a WIFI card (a wireless network interface card)
For the Broadband connection you would still need a Broadband card.

Last edited by RET; 02-16-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

True but I think he was being sarcastic about the deer blind. I could be wrong though
Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
True but I think he was being sarcastic about the deer blind. I could be wrong though
Heh....NOPE!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't know nuttin....

The wireless router sounds like it would cover most of my needs...i was being a little sarcastic about using it from the deer blind (not completely) but i am wanting to be able to travel and take it with me but 60 bucks a month? Ouch! So i can get a wireless router for the house and not pay any extra charge for the laptop to be online with it? Alot of places these days have a dial up plug in for your laptop right? Even RV parks i think...is this correct? If so, then i wouldn't need wireless if i was staying at a KOA camp ground while stopped for a night and I could plug into there phoneline.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

HaHaHa well that goofball How long is deer season in Ok? Well my option will only work if your deerstand is in your back yard then
Old 02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yep no extra charge. You don't even have to tell your service provider you have it. Im running 3 puters off my router at home. I have the hard line router though not wireless. You laptop should come with the NIC wireless card already installed, so you should just have to buy the router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.