Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best mileage/daily driver car?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ScottyP5947 
#1 ·
Trying to find a tiny little rig i can mob around every day and keep the miles off my truck!

I dont want to pay much, but i dont want to be working on it constantly either. We have a Corolla and a Chevy tracker in the family and both are pretty decent.

What do you guys have that is older that seems to be holding up well and getting good mileage?

#2 ·
VW TDI, Derek. You can expect 35+ mpg hwy. Or an older Benz diesel. The girl's 83' 300D gets 30ish mpg on the highway, 25 mpg in town and has required almost no work. I change oil/filters and changed an EGR valve recently.

Keep it an oil burner though :thumb:

#3 ·
Buy an old geo metro. 50+mpg and can be had just about anywhere for 100 bucks

#5 ·
How much ya looking to spend?

#6 ·
honestly i drive my truck every day so anything that I can drive a couple days a week and split the time with my truck...

Something like 400-1500 probably... not over 1500 though, i dont need something shiny!

#7 ·
#8 ·
My beater truck is a 2003 f-150.... may not get the best gas mileage but its got 165000 miles on it and it has never let me down yet! :nod:

#10 ·
:confused::D

I've been looking into early 2000s VW jettas. Between 2-5k in my area. My wife is in need of a commuter car that she can get into and out of easy for dialysis. Plus we can teach my 16 yr old son how to drive in it. Possible graduation present too... every time I save up some money for it, something breaks. Just replaced tranny in truck, now heat pump took a crap on my house.

But back to topic, I know many people who have, or had, VW and loved them. My sister currently has a brand new Jetta TDI, close to 40 mpg. Good luck with your findings...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
We are slowly approaching 3 years since I started this thread and Eli decides to put in his $.02 hahahah....

Its amazing how the internet works, stuff hangs around forever!

Since I made this thread I have owned a 96 corolla, 2001 ford contour, 2002 S10, 2001 Audi A4 Quattro, the 97 7.3, and a 2008 6.4 powerstroke. Still own the corolla, contour, and the 6.4

Definitely CAN'T beat a toyota corolla for dependability, mileage, and an overall car.

#15 ·
While it's back from the dead - I'll toss in my vote for the VW TDI. They are hard to find cheap but man the wifes '00 has been awesome and MPG has been great too. Like the VW commercials said "it's a diesel that's a gas to drive" LOL

Another surprise is my old 3.8 1995 Mustang - I regularly got 29 MPG with that car on the freeway with a slushbox in it. :icon_ford:

Best of luck -
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.