Driveline shop in Denver area? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Centennial State Powerstrokes Colorado Chapter area of the ORG

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Driveline shop in Denver area?

Im having trouble eliminating this moderate vibration/shudder at take off with my 2.5 inch lift and traction blocks. We have tried shimming the carrier bearing, which helped but did not completely eliminate the problem. I am thinking that getting a custom 1 piece driveshaft might be the best solution Does anyone have a good driveline shop that they recommend in the Denver area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
none in Denver I know of....sorry. springs yes. I am sure one of the denver guys will chime in.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There are a few here in Denver, but I haven't tried them out. What speed does it happen? Is you carrier bearing in good shape? Tires balances, and round?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
There are a few here in Denver, but I haven't tried them out. What speed does it happen? Is you carrier bearing in good shape? Tires balances, and round?
Happens 0-20 mph mostly. Carrier bearing is shimmed 3/4" but still the vibration is there. Tires are balanced.

Im gonna take it to a specific 4x4 driveline shop this week and see what they say.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I have heard that replacing with a one piece shaft will eliminate the shudder/vibe you are feeling. Id try and work with them to see if the cost is really gonna be worth it, new drive lines aren't cheap.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There's a place on S Broadway that I have always heard was good. Bear frame and axle, give them a try

Let us know what you find out adn what shop you took it to, because I'm sure that someone will need that type of work at some point
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Here ya go. They do great stuff with fabbed race drivelines as well!

Rocky Mountain Drive Line Spec in Denver, CO - YellowBot
Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

wow,,,, the sole purpose i got online tonight is because of this EXACT same issue i had for a couple thousand miles and last week my driveline let go, and exited the vehicle....(had to go retrieve it in a field next to highway)... pic to follow soon.

for last three days i have been looking into this issue. ford is not willing to warranty for obvious reasons(carrier bearing shim and lift kit, 4"front/2"rear) however they did provide me with a TSB that says they know of a shudder/vibration issue and sent out a fix for it. what you may not feel stock is magnified with the lift angles on the driveline.

talking to a one of the best shops in Montana i was told that a one piece shaft from steel will have too much 'jump rope' effect, and the only possiblity to get away with a one piece would be an aluminum shaft ($$$)....

the TSB (TSB09-20-5) states that the driveline should have a 3 degree optimal operating angle,,,,,

ANY TECHS PLEASE CHIME IN

Again pics to follow soon
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedInMT View Post
wow,,,, the sole purpose i got online tonight is because of this EXACT same issue i had for a couple thousand miles and last week my driveline let go, and exited the vehicle....(had to go retrieve it in a field next to highway)... pic to follow soon.

for last three days i have been looking into this issue. ford is not willing to warranty for obvious reasons(carrier bearing shim and lift kit, 4"front/2"rear) however they did provide me with a TSB that says they know of a shudder/vibration issue and sent out a fix for it. what you may not feel stock is magnified with the lift angles on the driveline.

talking to a one of the best shops in Montana i was told that a one piece shaft from steel will have too much 'jump rope' effect, and the only possiblity to get away with a one piece would be an aluminum shaft ($$$)....

the TSB (TSB09-20-5) states that the driveline should have a 3 degree optimal operating angle,,,,,

ANY TECHS PLEASE CHIME IN

Again pics to follow soon
Interesting....

I have heard of the Jump rope effect, but a properly balanced driveshaft should not/would not have this problem. I know of many people running 1 piece driveshafts at 80+ mph with no problems.

Sounds like that shop was just trying to upsell you. Why would a aluminum shaft be smoother than a steel shaft assuming they are both balanced properly?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

anything is possible, but he doesn't even do aluminum, so he had nothing to gain,,, what he was saying is that (in my case) a crew cab truck has a massive length between transfercase and pinion. hence the engineers at ford with hundreds of years of combined experience made it a two piece shaft to eleiminate the angles on the u-joints... just what i understand from him anyway... and aluminum is stiffer than steel, hence less jumprope effect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.