My truck only played a supporting role in this project, when I needed to run gets parts/tools, but since it is a
, I thought I would post the work I did on the SHO.
The car is pretty nasty looking right now. I got it for $200, it had sat for years before I bought it. If you didn't pay attention to the original SHOs, what you basically have is a 3.0L Yamaha Motorcycle engine in a Taurus. Mine is a 91 Plus, last of the first generation Taurus.
The engine bay was very nasty, mainly becasue the seals on the vavle covers were shot. Basically the project was plugs, wires and seals. To do this, you have to remove the intake manifold, and it is suggested the hood. I managed to do it leaving the hood on. I had a spare intake I got podwer coated, so when I put things back together I was able to clean it up some.
Here is the Engine in all it's glory
With the manifold off.
Everytime I took something off, I woud find more crap. Not only was thee buildup in the intake, there were leaves and crud all over. I think this is the most I have used a shop vac in an engine bay.
First Valve cover replaced
Assembling the intake.
Of course, things never go as planned. The car wouldn't start. After a couple hours of diagnosis and research, it turns out that the intake provides a ground for a small electronics module, and the powder coating blocked that. So, parts came off, things were sanded and finally she started.
I still have cleanup under the hood (might take it to a shop to get it steam cleaned), as well as struts, springs, exhaust, paint... the lists never ends.
As ususal, it took longer than I planned, and I worked on it all weekend.
I hope the Powerstroke isn't as hard to work on as the SHO is.