Oil and exhaust leak on drivers side - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
The Cascade Coal Rollers Oregon and Washington members of Powerstroke.org Chapter Area

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil and exhaust leak on drivers side

So I just bought the 2001 7.3 truck I have put about 400 miles (has about 150K total) on it and have noticed an exhaust leak and a decent oil drip. The drip is coming from the what I have always called the flywheel inspection shield area but appears to be dripping from the drivers side top. I have tried to identify where it is coming from but cannot see anywhere obvious. Is there a common place that I should be looking? Also any secret to finding an exhaust leak? (its is obvious inside the cab but with the hood open you cannot hear it)

Thank you
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 PM

so looking at the one picture does that black imply the manifold is cracked? Is this a common issue? Also the other one is where the turbo mounts and it look pretty black on the one side. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil and exhaust leak on drivers side-truck1-1-.jpg   Oil and exhaust leak on drivers side-truck2-2-.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I haven't had a 7.3 in a few years but the up-pipe leak is fairly common. I have never heard of a cracked manifold (doesn't mean it can't happen). As for the oil leak, it is either the rear main seal or oil is making it's way from the valley down to the inspection cover. Lots of potential sources or it could be multiple sources. Turbo pedestal, EBPV actuator, HPO lines or plugs, IPR, or HPOP gasket. I'm sure some folks a little more current will chime in soon.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Looks like new up pipe collector donuts are needed for sure. If your turbo pedestal orings are leaking they will get changed when you pull the turbo to do the collector donuts which will eliminate that possible issue. Both described here are very common.

The oil leak seems to be the valve cover gasket looking at the pic honestly. Kinda odd but it does happen.

sniff, sniff......do I smell a wrench day???
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

It looks to be in dire need of a ccv mod as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
I haven't had a 7.3 in a few years but the up-pipe leak is fairly common. I have never heard of a cracked manifold (doesn't mean it can't happen). As for the oil leak, it is either the rear main seal or oil is making it's way from the valley down to the inspection cover. Lots of potential sources or it could be multiple sources. Turbo pedestal, EBPV actuator, HPO lines or plugs, IPR, or HPOP gasket. I'm sure some folks a little more current will chime in soon.
I haven't seen a rear main leak on a 7.3 yet...

If it is for sure coming from the drivers side top, I would suspect either a line leak or the rear HPO plug. There is a drain hole on the passenger side of the block at the rear that will let oil drip down on the bell housing and then on to the ground. Usually a "rear main" leak on a 7.3 is almost always something from the top of the motor. HPO fittings are most common for a 7.3 leak, but it usually is a good leak not just a drip. Also depending on miles the turbo y pipes will leak oil and then slowly it makes its way to the drain hole and down the bell housing. No fix for this besides ccv delete and cleaning the y pipes regularly. Like once a year usually does it. 7.3 Exhaust leaks are usually the manifold warps or the up pipes like sagebel said.
The Following User Says Thank You to toren302 For This Useful Post:
r33pwrd (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

The second pic is at the front of the motor where it looks like the valve cover is a lil damp with oil and it runs down on the exhaust manifold.

Toren is right tho on the HPO plug leak cause my 02 had one fall out......oil everywhere in a hurry. You'd know if that was it for sure.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Lots of great info guys! I will start off with ordering the exhaust gaskets (does anyone sell a whole kit?). Also the ccv mod is this the crank ventilation mod? Is there a kit you buy? this truck had not been maintained at all. The original owner I bought it from said all he ever did was change the oil and tranny fluid but the truck was the right price also im going to invest in a better inspection mirror to see if I can find the oil leak.

I'm always down for a wrenching day I'm a fabricator (by hobby) not a mechanic but I can pretend pretty well.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
Lots of great info guys! I will start off with ordering the exhaust gaskets (does anyone sell a whole kit?). Also the ccv mod is this the crank ventilation mod? Is there a kit you buy? this truck had not been maintained at all. The original owner I bought it from said all he ever did was change the oil and tranny fluid but the truck was the right price also im going to invest in a better inspection mirror to see if I can find the oil leak.

I'm always down for a wrenching day I'm a fabricator (by hobby) not a mechanic but I can pretend pretty well.
No need for a donut kit.....dealer ones are better imo but you can get replacements at an auto parts store. There are some that like to make a big deal over the ccv mod but it's not necessary.....plug intake tube, turn doghouse around, attach hose. That's the jist.

What's your 20?
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.34ever For This Useful Post:
r33pwrd (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 PM

I'm in Sammamish (just north of Issaquah about 5 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.