Back up camera install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
The Cascade Coal Rollers Oregon and Washington members of Powerstroke.org Chapter Area

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Back up camera install

Hey gents, I was referred to this chapter by 7.34 ever after he was gracious enough to shoot me a text when my truck decided to play dead. He has been awesome in helping me though everything so a big thank you to him.

Now on to the problem at hand, I have a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit and installed a back up camera yesterday. The camera is getting power however the head unit does not display the video when I put my truck in reverse. After tearing apart the dash I discovered that the head units back up camera wire from the main harness has not been hooked up to the corresponding wire which lets the head unit know the truck is in reverse to active the backup cam. I'm assuming this is why the head unit will not display the video.
My question is what wire can I splice into up by the head unit that will let the head unit know the truck is in reverse?

My guess was a black/pink just like the reverse lamps back in the rear of the truck that I wire the power for the camera into. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I have the exact same Pioneer unit also with a backup camera. I think an easier solution is what I did--I just spliced into the backup wire to my left rear backup light. It only gets juice when you put the trans into reverse (obviously). I've had my camera installed for about six months and it's worked flawlessly. Even doing a meticulous do-it-right-the-time job takes about 20 minutes or less and you're set to go--or to backup, as the case may be. Great looking truck, BTW!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So you ran a wire from the voilet/white wire on the head unit all the way to the tail light to splice into it?
Thanks for the help
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

I don't recall, so a little later today I will crawl under my truck and take a look. Also, I had my stereo professionally installed (I installed the backup cam myself) and the technician did not use the correct port on the back of the Pioneer unit the first time around. So, once I get back to you on the correct wiring, I suggest that you do not button up your dash until you have the camera working correctly. You probably are way ahead of me on that one--just thought I'd mention it. :-)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm about 98% sure the camera is wired correctly as it does get power and kick on when the truck is on reverse. It's grounded obviously and has the power wire ran the the black/pink wire from the tail lights. Are you suggesting that I run a wire from this same power source (black/pink wire I spliced into for the camera) to run to the head unit to let it know it's in reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.