What is best in your opinion????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
The Cascade Coal Rollers Oregon and Washington members of Powerstroke.org Chapter Area

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is best in your opinion?????

I have a couple of questions??
1- Which is the best way to go on aftermarket exhaust??? 4" or 5" turbo or cat back??Cat and muffler delete??

2- Air intake.. Complete cold air intake system or just filter?? Which company??
I have to say that during hunting season I Android in very very dry dusty conditions was my family ranch is a dry land wheat ranch..I've had cold air intake on a couple of other trucks and hunting season was hard on the exposed filters..

THANKS FOR THE INPUT...

Last edited by xtrema44; 05-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
The Silent Service

I realize I'm not in CCR, but if you don't mind I'd be happy to answer your questions (based on the '06 in your sig):

1) The exhaust is mostly personal preference. 4" Turbo Back with a 3.5" DP is all you really need for most mild builds upto 500RWHP. A 5" system will provide you with a deeper tone, but won't gain anything else performance wise. Stainless steel is the preferred material and MBRP and Diamond Eye are two of the leading companies on the site.

2) Keep the stock Donaldson filter, its been proven to support builds upto 500RWHP as well, and is the best filter on the market at actually filtering the air. Most aftermarket set ups make their power gains very high in the RPM range, and sacrifice filtration to do that. Your turbo and internals are worth more than an aftermarket system will give you. I run down a lot of dirt roads, and I haven't had any issues.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Thanks Colo, I was thinking diamond eye since there made 10miles away but what sucks is they won't sell to the off the street guy..
The filter is good to know because I like the idea of it being covered..
Thanks..
Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 PM
The Silent Service

Anytime, if you have more questions on the 6.0L, let me know.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Colo,what do you think about Edge CS Evolution for just towing and better mpg?? I know everyone likes the SCT and I see why..I just can pick one up from a local shop for cheap..I like the fact of the reader.. Will I be able to add a SCT later on after i build it later on??
Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
The Silent Service

I don't care for any of Edge's programming on the 6.0L. The cost you may be saving now will only come back to haunt you should the transmission give out. Also, you shouldn't have the Edge Evolution used as a monitor, with other tunes on the PCM could lead to a world of hurt.

For towing, I have a custom tune that I am confident to upto a 15K load (the tuner stands by it to 20K, if memory serves). Its a very mild tune, with a lot of modification to the transmission and engine braking parameters that has been great. Huge improvement over stock in shift points, EGT control, engine braking, and throttle responce.

For Mileage, I run my highest HP tune as my DD, IDP's X-Race (advertised around 425RWHP). Reason, I saw a 15% gain in mileage over my stock program, with the street tune it was only 10%. When your running any of the higher HP tunes, anything marketed as a race or extreme file, be careful and inform your tuner that you are using stock headbolts or not. No tune is completely safe with the stock bolts holding the heads on.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

1. I went with a 5" stainless turbo back system. It's what they had in stock and gave me a good price on it when they put in my new engine. It was straight pipe all the way, but it sounded too high pitched, almost like a turbine engine. I had them put the (huge) muffler on, in lowered the sound to a low roar that I like better. You can still hear the turbo, but it still undeniably sounds like an American V-8.

2. I have a cold air intake but it has a thin fine mesh pre-filter that goes over the exposed element. I just pop it in the washer from time to time.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ill give my input as a real CCR Member...lol

Either Diamond Eye or MRBP... Wherever you get a better deal... Don't be afraid of a 4" Down Pipe. I run it and most the guys in Spokane do too!

alligator performance.com has good prices

Intake like Collo said, you don't need anything unless going big!

If you want an Edge Evolution for gauges and a tuner combined, The ONLY thing to do is Bill @ Power Hungry Peformance. He can put custom tunes on Edge Evolution prioducts

Let us know if you need anything bud
Old 05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
One thing I will note... I wish I would have gotten a 5" kit

5" TB with a 6"x18" black tip
Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks everyone...I now know for sure to skip the cold air intake for now. .
As for the tuner here is the just of it. My good friend is the one who called me on this truck he took it in on trade..It had 27,925 miles on it..A teacher had it hooked to his 5th wheel and that was all the driving with it he did..I paid for a 4yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty..
His words were we will replace the head bolts and turbo and whatever else i can break with the good stuff as he smiled and said now get after it..
So still not sure about the tuner?
Leaning towards 4" on the exhaust..
Another quick question talk to a guy who sold his truck and has a Premium Supension leveling kit? ?? I have never heard of them? Have you guys??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.