Importing (new) from the US? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Canada The whole thing

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Importing (new) from the US?

Hi to all ...

Been on Powerstroke.org for a few months, learning all I can. But I just saw and joined this Canada forum. Live in Toronto (I know); glad to join the group.

Iím planning on buying a 2008 (or 09) F-350 dually ... maybe pickup, but more likely Chassis Cab. Iíve been wondering about buying it in the States (in a tax-free state, like New Hampshire, Oregon, or Delaware) and importing it -- because of the $10K-$15K price difference.

I know importing would require paying tax (PST & GST here); but so would buying it here ...

Has anyone done this? Have any experience? Thoughts?

Huge thanks in advance for any info.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
welcome man ... Im 1 hr from london .. a fellow canuck

as for the boarder.. they will rape you when you go register it and bring it across the boarder I would call customs and look into it from them first hand.. it may not be worth the small savings
Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 AM

They charge you GST at the border, and then PST once you get Ontario ownership. Also theres a general processing tax or something of 200-400, can't remember. And A/C tax.

I bought mine used from texas, luckily they have temp status for their cars so I could drive it home without paying taxes.

Also legally you need an Ontario temp plate to drive it here during the time that it isn't registered here. I got away with using my texas dealer tag.

You won't pay 10-15k in taxes. 14%, plus small other taxes that won't add up to more than 1k. At 22,000 US it cost something like 3k in taxes out the door.

You need to forward the vin to the border crossing your bringing it accross, so they can monitor the vin for theft. May be different for new cars.

Once its across you need to bring it to a canadian tire to get it certified for it to be registered. They'll check stuff like daytime runnings, and other safety crap. I took mine to the one on the queensway near 427. The guy didn't even go out and look at the thing, peered out the window, check check sign. Sweet. Although I new a guy that was frequently registering there.

Also one thing thats very important. There is a list of vehicles that are exempt from being able to be imported for some reason. Don't remember the link. I'd check that because if you try to import anything on that list they'll kick ya in the *** and send you back on your way to the states. Theres only a few vehicles, few and far between. Only one I remember is chevy blazers late 90s to early 00, not that it matters.

Last edited by AvroAero; 08-18-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroAero View Post
They charge you GST at the border, and then PST once you get Ontario ownership. Also theres a general processing tax or something of 200-400, can't remember. And A/C tax.

I bought mine used from texas, luckily they have temp status for their cars so I could drive it home without paying taxes.

Also legally you need an Ontario temp plate to drive it here during the time that it isn't registered here. I got away with using my texas dealer tag.

You won't pay 10-15k in taxes. 14%, plus small other taxes that won't add up to more than 1k. At 22,000 US it cost something like 3k in taxes out the door.

You need to forward the vin to the border crossing your bringing it accross, so they can monitor the vin for theft. May be different for new cars.

Once its across you need to bring it to a canadian tire to get it certified for it to be registered. They'll check stuff like daytime runnings, and other safety crap. I took mine to the one on the queensway near 427. The guy didn't even go out and look at the thing, peered out the window, check check sign. Sweet. Although I new a guy that was frequently registering there.

Also one thing thats very important. There is a list of vehicles that are exempt from being able to be imported for some reason. Don't remember the link. I'd check that because if you try to import anything on that list they'll kick ya in the *** and send you back on your way to the states. Theres only a few vehicles, few and far between. Only one I remember is chevy blazers late 90s to early 00, not that it matters.
Thanks, AvroAero ... that's very helpful info.

If I can find the truck I'm looking for in the US for no more than $40-50K, then I am looking at GST+PST of no more than $7K, which is a lot ... but even with the extra (max) $1K for handling, it would be a max of $8K. That is still less than the $10-15K difference in prices between the two countries.

And here's the thing: Presumably I would have to pay GST and PST in Canada, too, if I were to buy it here? So it isn't as if I am paying more taxes ... just the same taxes. So the bottom line is that in the end I would save the entire $10-15K of price differential. That's not too shabby.

I have actually looked at the list of what vehicles can be imported, and the Ford Super Duty is not excluded ... so I'm OK on that front.

That's useful information about the "temp status" from the Texas dealer. Definitely convenient.

One question: did you have to pay sales taxes in Texas, when you bought it? Texas isn't a sales-tax-free state, and that's what I am concerned about: paying both US and Canadian taxes.

Thanks!
Brian

(If I pull this off I'll be sure to track down that Canadian Tire guy.)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM

We just brought in a 2006 CC dually from GA. Very simple process and you will save big time!!!!!! Here is a link to the process:

Step by step

We did not have to pay taxes as we are out of State. Cost us GST and PST, a/c excise tax ($100) and the RIV fee ($195). Let me know if you need any info. I am in Oakville.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOSEWHEEL View Post
We just brought in a 2006 CC dually from GA. Very simple process and you will save big time!!!!!! Here is a link to the process:

Step by step

We did not have to pay taxes as we are out of State. Cost us GST and PST, a/c excise tax ($100) and the RIV fee ($195). Let me know if you need any info. I am in Oakville.
Hey thanks Loosewheel ... good info. It eases the mind, knowing others have done it before.

It's sure looking to me as if I can save a bunch of coin.

Two questions:

1) Did you buy the vehicle in Georgia? And from a dealer? I've wondered whether being out of state you can avoid sales tax (4% in GA, I think), or whether you have to do something weird like getting them to drive it to the border and taking posession there. I'm aiming at New Hampshire because it's tax-free, but NY or VT would be much easier for me (know people there), so if I can buy there as an out-of-stater, without sales tax, that'd be great.

2) Did you get a temporary permit or some license thing to drive it back up here from GA?

Thanks!
Brian
Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpliciter View Post
Hey thanks Loosewheel ... good info. It eases the mind, knowing others have done it before.After doing it once, you will see how simple it is. Most are intimidated buy all the so-called paperwork, dealing with customs, yada,yada, but it really is quite simple once you get your head around it. So many are doing this now. When we came across, there were at least 30 other vehicles coming across

It's sure looking to me as if I can save a bunch of coin.Probably $15-20k in our case

Two questions:

1) Did you buy the vehicle in Georgia? And from a dealer? I've wondered whether being out of state you can avoid sales tax (4% in GA, I think), or whether you have to do something weird like getting them to drive it to the border and taking posession there. I'm aiming at New Hampshire because it's tax-free, but NY or VT would be much easier for me (know people there), so if I can buy there as an out-of-stater, without sales tax, that'd be great. Ours was listed on eBay. We called the dealer and negotiated a price and had him change the buy-it-now price. That way we had eBay protection on our side. As well, I believe any one out of state can purchase without tax so I would not limit your choices based on tax free states.

2) Did you get a temporary permit or some license thing to drive it back up here from GA? The dealer provided a temporary plate good for 30 days. Most will do this. Our dealer was very familiar with the process as he sells 50% of his vehicles to Canadians. It was super smooth.All you need to do is have insurance on the vehicle that takes effect the day you pick it up

Thanks!
Brian
Let me know if you need additional info.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOSEWHEEL View Post
Let me know if you need additional info.
Thanks ... I'll send you a PM if I need more info.

I just talked with a dealer recommended on various forums ... but he said he couldn't deal with someone "exporting" the country. said "ford was keeping a sharp eye on this". not sure what that means (though they can obviously tell if they track where the VIN gets registered). but i'm going to try another dealer.

thanks
brian
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
just to let you know as long as you dont live in the state your buying from (you obviously dont, in canada) you dont have to pay the states sales tax
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpliciter View Post
Thanks ... I'll send you a PM if I need more info.

I just talked with a dealer recommended on various forums ... but he said he couldn't deal with someone "exporting" the country. said "ford was keeping a sharp eye on this". not sure what that means (though they can obviously tell if they track where the VIN gets registered). but i'm going to try another dealer.

thanks
brian
Yup, find another dealer. There are plenty willing to take your money. Are you looking for new or used? You can save thousands buying used with very little miles. You know what they say the second you drive it off the lot......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.