5th Wheel, Can I Haul One? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th Wheel, Can I Haul One?

Hey all quick question. Now that I have my lift (6.5 in) can I still pull a 5th wheel? I was told it would be possible if the camper I buy has the axles flipped? Anyone have any input on this or if with the lift I have am I now only capable of pull behinds? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

should work with an axle flip or a adjustable tongue
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 AM

You can still tow fine. I got the dealer to do the axle flip on ours before I picked up the trailer. Got it put into the financing that way.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Ok now for me my next question. I currently have a 27 foot pull behind, which weighs next to nothing. I'm wanting to got big with my next camper, i.e. some sort of toy hauler. I'm looking at the Keystone Fuzions. The 35 foots dry weight are little over 12,000, can I pull this? If so can I go more? Thanks all...
Old 02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't know nuttin....

your putting your safety at risk pulling a heavy "lifted" trailer. I would never advise doing this.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Hmm, how so? Reason I ask having lived in Cali and had the opportunity to go to the desert a lot you see tons of toy boxes with flipped axles being pulled by lifted trucks. I obviously am wanting to go the safe route, just want to make sure the answers I'm receiving are based off facts and not opinions. If it's not safe then I will lower my pulling weight. I do have a family to consider, and the camper is for us, not just me....
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Just because others do it doesn't make it safe...its possible to do, certainly but not as safe as a stock setup.
First of all when you lifted your truck you changed the center of gravity by 6". do that to a 12k lb trailer and your asking for trouble. A high crosswind could turn you over easier than if not lifted. And I have seen 5ers turned over in the median from high crosswinds. Lateral support is less as well considering you probably have over sized tires. Also some oversized tires are load range D rather than E Ever consider a blowout at 70 mph in a lifted rig that is pushing 20k lbs GCWR? Not pretty.
Personally i wouldn't even pull a toy hauler with anything less than a dually for added lateral support when cornering.
This is mostly my opinion but its based on fact. I drive a dually and my camper is less than 10k lbs but i also carry close to 1000 lbs of extra fuel and other crap in the bed so i feel more comfortable with that load on a dually axel.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the feedback CHenry. I'll be sure to ask the dealership on some of your concerns. I do have oversized tires, and they do have a load range of E. I made sure of that when I bought them because I knew eventually I was going to get a bigger camper. I also for got to mention I am getting air bags installed to help with the load. Do you think the air bags will help with the stability issues? Thanks...
Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM

You also have to check your height out on a toyhauler before flipping axles. mine is 13.4 tail at stock height and also weights 15,000 emty. would even think of raising it any higher or towing with less than a dual wheel truck.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

That's true, thanks for the response. I think I've made my decision. I'm going to get the Keystone Fuzion 302. It has a dry weight of roughly 11,000, should be ok. Here is a link to it:

Fuzion Division of Keystone RV manufacturers of Recreational Vehicles and Towables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.