Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel

Anybody have experience with this hitch Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection . A bunch of guys on the Cummins Forum are using them but I'm wondering if any fellow .org members are running them. Seems like a great option. They have a few videos on their website to check out. I like that it's not actually a gooseneck conversion. It's more of a hybrid GN/5er. It's way better than the gooseneck adapters because this doesn't change the pinbox geometry or add stress to the frame because the hitch point remains in the same plane. I'm getting a heavier 5er and need to upgrade the hitch. This one is rated at 24.5K with a pin weight of 4500. Best part is the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Seems like a bad idea to me. Weight limitation of a ball hitch(the ball is still the weak point). bed limitation of a 5th wheel. alignment issues of a gooseneck. You lose the advantages of the 5th wheel but still get the disadvantages.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM

I have the reese goosebox. It's not bad. Only rated to 16k though I think. I'm right at that if not a little over. Improved the ride a bunch

Brett
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Seems like a bad idea to me. Weight limitation of a ball hitch(the ball is still the weak point). bed limitation of a 5th wheel. alignment issues of a gooseneck. You lose the advantages of the 5th wheel but still get the disadvantages.
I need more clarification on what you mean. Ball hitches have higher capacities than most consumer fifth wheels. My gooseneck ball in my bed is rated at 30,000lbs trailer weight with 6500lbs of pin weight. That's higher than 99% of fifth wheel hitches on the market. The highest rated fifth wheel I've found is the Reese thats rated for 30k but you can only use it in a medium duty truck and up. The bed limitation you're talking about I can see, however this hitch only weighs 75lbs and comes out in under a minute. Whereas a fifth wheel usually weighs 150 lbs or more and you still have rails in the bed. You have a point on the alignment but you also loose the possibility of high hitching or forgetting to lock the jaws and dropping you're trailer on your bed rails.

I'm not advocating that this is the best idea out there but it seems to be a heck of a lot better than doing the gooseneck adapters. From the reviews I've read and the info I've gotten from emailing the company, most people report back that they love it and that all the bucking and chucking of a typical 5th wheel hitch is gone.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
I have the reese goosebox. It's not bad. Only rated to 16k though I think. I'm right at that if not a little over. Improved the ride a bunch

Brett
I looked at that. I just wish they made one rated at a higher capacity.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 PM

What I mean is the ball mounted up high like that becomes the weak spot. Doesn't seem as sturdy as a 5th wheel. Personally, if I'm going to have a ball in my bed, I'd rather have the gooseneck adapter. The one in the bed has the weight capacity(sorry poor communication skills at work) while the one raised up that high shifts the stress point MUCH higher. Seems to me that shifting the stress point that high would drop it's efficiency and capability a good bit.

And honestly, I wouldn't use it with a heavy RV. Gotta be too precise to get the ball exact. I'd rather the hitch let me know when I am in lol
Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the Anderson on a 08 F350 ccsb 4x4 SRW to a 2013 Keystone Cougar X Lite 29 RBS (Specification Width 8'0" Height 11'11" Hitch Weight 1,405 lbs Dry Weight 7,690 lbs Cargo Weight 2,310 lbs) tows wonderful. No kicking no bucking no additional stress on the fifth because of the higher ball. Easier to hock up and release than the fifth wheel plate and kingpin. I have remote electric landing gear and when I'm close under the adapter box I do height adjustment. Once lined up and lowering on to the ball I let the tongue weight make the final small adjustments. Un hooking with the landing gear down and tires wedged I put the truck in neutral use the remote to raise the box adapter and let up on the brakes just enough to allow some roll either way. Once released back into park and finish the disconnect setup.

I've towed 3000 miles ( I know, not a lot in the whole scheme of things)with the Anderson and no issues.

Last edited by sabarnes; 12-31-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Pretty impressive vertical load limits. Almost 55,000lbs before the pin for the ball lets go and just over 65,000 before the unit collapses. It also looks nice and easy to instal and remove. A heck of allot lighter than my back breaking 350lb 20k Kurt slider.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Despite what the Anderson website says, most local laws require safety chains on all ball style hitches - gooseneck included. Where the hitch is located is irrelevant.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme oppressor View Post
Despite what the Anderson website says, most local laws require safety chains on all ball style hitches - gooseneck included. Where the hitch is located is irrelevant.
Good point. One I didn't think of til you mentioned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.