Info On WDH - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Info On WDH

Ok, I am going to put this out there and maybe it will help someone set up their wdh. I have a Equalizer weight distribution hitch and thought I had it set up well until I came out of the rest room at the rest area. My truck and trailer were sitting out a good ways from me and I could tell there was a slight v in my set up I did. I followed the directions to the t but think I was being thrown off by the 2.5in level kit I have in the front. So Monday I call Equalizer and ask them how to raise the front of the camper and back of the truck because I couldn't understand after following the directions for set up why I still had a slight v. The guy at Equalizer told me to raise my L brackets and I had already did this and if I raised them anymore my distribution bars would not be level (you want your bars level with the frame of your camper). Then he asked how many washers I had on the hitch itself I said 3 (Note: We purchased the hitch and camper together and initial setup for the hitch was done by the dealer and they put the 3 washers on). He promptly told me there should be a minimum of 5 washers on the bolt to start with and can go up to 8. He also explained the leveling bars are for course weight adjustment and the washers were for fine tuning and that with only 3 washers on the hitch I was not totally using my bars to take the weight off the rear end of my truck. Hope this helps someone out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM

The more washers, the more tilt to the head towards the ground. So that means the bars have more pressure put on them.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM

I had not clue. In the set up there was nothing about the washers. Now I know though and will make sure everything is right before our next trip. LOL you should have told me this before we went camping so I wouldn't look stupid going down the road even though my rear end was not down that low I wanted it perfect.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM

Trial by fire
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Yeah best bet is just trial and error. I've had to adjust my setup 3 times this year alone. 1 for a new truck, 1 for leveling kit, and 1 for when I fine tuned it. I have 5-6 washers on my upper stop bolt and my lower stop bolt is about all the way in. This makes the head/ball sit flush with the ground so no V.

Or are you talking more your ball/head need raised on the shank? if that's the case that is really just trial and error. Just keep messing with it until you get it all level.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Making the head sit level with the ground is not correct, and doesn't affect the angle the trailer points at.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Making the head sit level with the ground is not correct, and doesn't affect the angle the trailer points at.
Exactly, in the instructions I just re-read it says to start with 5 spacer washers which will increase the angle of the head therefore putting more pressure on the leveling bars. I reckon the techs that first set it up were not aware of that. I do think when I add the couple more washers I will be really close.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It definitely can. If the head/ball is too low the trailer will point down towards the ground. If its too mounted too high on the shank it will be nose up on the trailer.

It sounds like he was talking about the hitch and the trailer having a V, so I just didn't picture that exactly, but yes, add more washers, you may need a longer bolt too if your's is too short to hold the amount you need.

On mine, I can tell mine is level as soon as I put it on the truck due to the correct number of washers, You should be able to visably see that when you add washers.

If not, then you need to do what I said and move the head/ball up on the shank, if that is what is creating the V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.