How much of a lift if pulling a 5th wheel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blb1224
  • 1 Post By Rammstein1224

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How much of a lift if pulling a 5th wheel?

Afternoon all..

I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 Diesel. While I enjoy the truck immensely, I actually bought it to tow a 5th wheel camper. I would like to lift it a bit and put much nicer wheels and tires on it though. (I mean let's face it.. I won't always have a camper behind me right?)

Anyway, I'm unsure of how much I can raise the truck before it affects my towing and camper. Has anyone elwse out there stumbled across this dilema and if so how did you satisfy your need for a cool truck wit hthat of the family camper?

THanks in advance and hope to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I know i have seen guys with at least 6 inches and probably 8 inches towing 5-ers . Goosenecks are when you run into trouble with lifts because they typically have the triangle bracket support that goes right over the tail gate at will take out your bed corners but with a 5-er theres more bed clearance plus fords a$$ ends sag alot under load.

I have only pulled a flat bed with my truck and honestly it handles just like a stock truck as long as you have the right gearing pulling-wise you should be fine. Look at changing the gearing if you do end up lifting the truck AND towing with it.

And lastly make sure your tires are rated for the weight your carrying. Typically big mud tires arent rated for as much weight as towing tires so look at that when you buy tires that you buy ones that can carry the load of you AND your truck
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Chapter Director

Ask this guy if you have any questions
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/mem...jetjock15.html
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not as high as some on this forum but I have no problems towing my 35' toyhauler with 35" tires and 5" lift. I've thought about 37" tires but then I would probably have to lift trailer too and don't want to do that.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM

4" lifts are usually what guys do... you won't have any issues.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you all for the quick response. I think it's safe to say I can go with at leat a 4" inch and be pretty safe at this point.

I have owned my truck for about a year now and after seeing some of the trucks on here and the things you guys do to them, it kinda of gives you that "bug" so to speak.

Do now I need to figure out what to do with the rest of the truck. There are so many options.. But, that's for another forum.

So againi, thank you all very much for the help. Most appreciated!!
sabarnes likes this.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1224 View Post
Thank you all for the quick response. I think it's safe to say I can go with at leat a 4" inch and be pretty safe at this point.

I have owned my truck for about a year now and after seeing some of the trucks on here and the things you guys do to them, it kinda of gives you that "bug" so to speak.

Do now I need to figure out what to do with the rest of the truck. There are so many options.. But, that's for another forum.

So againi, thank you all very much for the help. Most appreciated!!
Oh its more of a bug its a virus or an STD that just wont go away
sabarnes likes this.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 PM

The more you lift the truck the more the trailer needs to go up. 5ers are usually high to start and making them higher is not a good plan. Don't forget you need a few inches between the bed and the trailer to compensate for the road/driveways/dips/twists/hills.

if you bought the truck to pull leave it alone and pull. If you want big flashy show off, get another truck. you need the right tool for the job.....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
if you bought the truck to pull leave it alone and pull. If you want big flashy show off, get another truck. you need the right tool for the job.....
That's kind of a bold statement. Just because he is looking to lift his truck doesn't mean he's looking for "big flashy show off". Mine is lifted but far from big or flashy. I see no need to,have 2 different vehicles when I can do everything with one. I need the ground clearance for places I like to take my truck and the wife loves the comfort of a trailer. Since I've had the trailer I can think of 3 times where I had to worry about bed clearance, 2 were from places I shouldn't have been with a trailer and here going in/out of our hunting location.

I like to,have my cake and eat it too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
camper, lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.