A TT towing question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A TT towing question.

Recently upgraded to a 2012 250 cc4x4 diesel. Currently tow a 34ft TT with a #7000 wgt. My 1/2 ton GMC would tow it but man did it sway... I bought the Hensley Arrow Hitch and noticed a significant difference. My question is will having a heavier truck eliminate the need for the expensive hitch? or should I just use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Might as well just use it....it's arguably the best system out there.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 AM

Sounds like your Hensley Arrow Hitch has some type of sway control built in. That being said I doubt you will need to worry about the tt swaying when towing. I use a Equalizer hitch, we left out a couple weeks ago in some serious wind and we had no problems what so ever with sway. You will see a world of difference pulling with your new 6.7 vs the gmc.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We are seriously considering trading our F150 EcoBoost in for a 250 diesel to tow our 8000# TT. Looking for any and all suggestions, advice, comments. This post was very encouraging
Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to mention we have the ProPride no sway hitch, kissing cousin to Hensley.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2camp View Post
We are seriously considering trading our F150 EcoBoost in for a 250 diesel to tow our 8000# TT. Looking for any and all suggestions, advice, comments. This post was very encouraging
Have you tried pulling your tt with the eco boost yet? Wondering how well it towed if you have. For me pulling my 8k tt with my truck is no problem what so ever. You won't regret getting a diesel to pull your tt, actually that's all I ever pull. Good luck in your decision and keep up posted.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have taken several trips pulling ourTT with our EcoBoost. Coming home from dealer on day of purchase when we experienced lots of sway with our Eaz Lift hitch. Next traveling about 50 miles with tighter adjustment to Eaz Life. Better but still sway and 100 lbs light on steer wheels. Nectar same 50 mile trip with new ProPride...NO sway, but truck wandered in lane...even lighter on steer wheels. Adjusted ProPride drove up local mountain pass, no sway buts lots of wandering in lane and husband/driver felt TT was pushing truck around. Weighed at scales on way home, now steer wheels almost 300 lbs light and rear axle almost maxed out at 1300+ lbs. ugh! The EcoBoost has pulling power, but we can't get wt distributed right and feel very unstable. Don't want to spend $ on 250, the EcoBoost is a 2013 with 10,000 miles on it, but don't feel safe towing (yet? we still R hoping we can figure this out).
Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you are within all of your weight limits, not getting pushed around by the trailer, and not having a hard time pulling grades then you don't need a new truck.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2camp View Post
We have taken several trips pulling ourTT with our EcoBoost. Coming home from dealer on day of purchase when we experienced lots of sway with our Eaz Lift hitch. Next traveling about 50 miles with tighter adjustment to Eaz Life. Better but still sway and 100 lbs light on steer wheels. Nectar same 50 mile trip with new ProPride...NO sway, but truck wandered in lane...even lighter on steer wheels. Adjusted ProPride drove up local mountain pass, no sway buts lots of wandering in lane and husband/driver felt TT was pushing truck around. Weighed at scales on way home, now steer wheels almost 300 lbs light and rear axle almost maxed out at 1300+ lbs. ugh! The EcoBoost has pulling power, but we can't get wt distributed right and feel very unstable. Don't want to spend $ on 250, the EcoBoost is a 2013 with 10,000 miles on it, but don't feel safe towing (yet? we still R hoping we can figure this out).
Sounds like your weight distribution hitch is not set up properly. You should have pretty much the same weight on the front wheels as normal. I went through how to properly setting up the wdh in another thread in the camping section. After trial and error I have my truck pulling really good. With proper setup of the wdh you will take some of the rear axle weight and move it to the front. Check out this link, I know its not your hitch but the setup instructions will be the same http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Very helpful information in your post. Thank you. We will use the info in link tomorrow and see if we can get the balance we need. I thought the measurements of front fender drop to be most helpful. I was focused solely on back wheel fender drop. An ah ha moment. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.