Front End Loose - Weight Distribution Hitch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front End Loose - Weight Distribution Hitch

I recently traded up from a F150 to and F350. Due to the added height of the new truck I had to lower my hitch ball to the lowest setting in order to still be able to hitch up to my travel trailer. Left where it was the travel trailer would have had the front of it lifted high up instead of level.

Having lowered the ball I wasn't sure what to expect to do with regard to the number of chain links I would continue to use when putting the weight distribution bars in place. To start off, I used the same number of links as was used with the F150. My F350 and trailer appeared to be pretty much level. However, driving down the highway the front end of my truck felt really loose.

Am I right to think that I need to add more tension (take out some links on the chains) in order to shift more weight to the front end of my truck? It feels that way but am wondering if theoretically that makes sense and is what I should try to do. I certainly don't want to make the situation worse.

Any other ideas as to what I should be looking to do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds correct that you need to put more tension on the chains, just make sure the angle of your ball mount is correct so that you have plenty of chain length for the bars to move freely.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks! I felt pretty good that tilting the ball back a little and removing one or two chain links from the set-up would add extra tension and that is probably what is needed in order to tighten up the front end. Helps to get some confirmation on that since I am new to using a weight distribution hitch and the original set-up I was using is just going by what was done by the dealer that sold me the travel trailer. That set-up worked great but with the new truck I've got to get it all readjusted.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM

I have the equalizer hitch and there is a great write up on how to make sure the weight distribution hitch is working correctly. On level ground level your camper measure up inside of your hitch to the ground, then measure to the top of the ball on your truck and set the ball height to the height of the camper. Now measure from the ground to the top center of the front and rear wheel wells and write the numbers down. Set the camper on your ball without the bars attached. Now measure again the wheel wells. Now split the difference of the front and back wheel well heights. Now install your bars and start with the link you usually use. You want to lift the back of your truck while lowering the front to the differences of the numbers you wrote down. Get as close as possible and your weight distribution hitch will be working properly. How this helps.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The &ldquo;American Original&rdquo; with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution <--- Here is where the write up is, they explain it little better than I did.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you! I have the EAZ Lift hitch and it is a bit different but I think in principle they all work more or less the same. That being the case I think I can use these instructions and sort of "translate" them more or less to the hitch that I am using. I found some instructions on the EAZ Lift as well.

I'll probably try this out over this weekend and do some short "trail run" drives until I seem to have it right. I'm hoping to get this solved fairly easily and before we are ready to go camping again.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 PM

Here are some basic instructions for setting up the Easy lift style hitch, I also use this hitch and it does a good job:

How to Setup a Weight Distributing Hitch | eHow.com
Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks to everyone for all the information!

I followed the instructions and attempted to fix my set-up this evening. I managed to get the truck to sit at what appeared to be completely level. Measurements were almost identical from ground to bumpers after hitching up as before hitching up. I had a more difficult time with the trailer. I finally was found a height and angle that managed to get the trailer extremely close to level but it wasn't perfect. In the photo it appears as thought the front of the trailer is higher than the rear by just a very slight bit. I measured and found that the very front is about 1/2 inch higher than the very rear. The trailer is 34 feet long so this is a very tiny incline.

I took a drive around town and then about 15 miles on the Interstate. Stability was unbelievably better. I felt in complete control at any speed and we had some wind gusts going on as well which had pretty much no effect.

I noticed one concern. I had to have my steering wheel slightly ****ed to the right in order to track straight. Just a little but in my normal driving that doesn't happen. I found a possible reason. The Quick Hook Up arms where you hook the chain and lever them up into place... well one of them I found was about a 1/2 inch farther forward from the body of the trailer than the other one. So, would it make any sense that this would create some out of balance torque transferred to my truck that would cause it to pull slightly to one side?

I corrected the distance of the Quick Hook Up arms but it was getting late and I didn't get to do a second drive to see if that helped.

Questions:

1. Should I be concerned about the 1/2 inch incline or would I be wasting a lot of time trying to get this perfect? I see things online saying for the front to be lower than the rear if not perfectly level. I kind of think 1/2 inch should be about the same as level but then I am new to this and don't want to cause problems over the long term by leaving it this way.

2. Do you all think I am on the right track that the Quick Hook Up arm positions could have affected my steering / tracking by a slight bit? And... that getting those positioned equally should remedy that problem?

Thanks again!

Hopefully, you can see my picture attachment and it opens up larger when clicked as it does while I am previewing this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Front End Loose - Weight Distribution Hitch-img01.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM

From the picture looks like you did a really good job getting her level. I really don't think I would worry about being a half inch off. Mine is not perfect either, we are going camping tomorrow so maybe I will be able to get you a pic of our set up. As far as your second question I really am not sure if the half inch will make your steering wheel be off center. If you think about it though being off will put more pressure on that one side so I would def make both the same distance.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks. Glad it looks to be leveled well enough. I'm looking forward to trying it again to see of my steering tracks straight with the tweaking I had done. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to do to try to fix it. Tire pressures on TV and trailer were checked and good. Truck is new and trailer is new. Seems like alignment wouldn't be it. Truck does fine unhitched. Previous truck with this trailer tracked straight. Don't think I have a brake dragging with so few miles and no previous problems. Possibly I had a sway bar too tight if that would have any effect. Maybe there are other things I should check that I haven't mentioned? Or, maybe it will tow fine next trial run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.