Generator heads up
A few months back I started the generator, undermount Onan 3.6? lp, it ran for about a minute then stalled and would not start-starter did not turn over.
Waited a few minutes, tried again-nothing, went outside took off the access cover and discovered the air filter cover missing and the air shroud for the fan had fragged with pieces jammed under the fan-nothing that could be done on the road so.....
Got back, removed the genset, and yes it is a royal pain even with jacks and a hard level surface-removed the entire cover and just as it appeared the fan was locked tight by both plastic debris and the air filter cover. Over two hundred dollars and a full day later the set was back in and running.
It never occured to me that this could happen so I pass it along-check the air filter cover, ours now has blue loc tite on it.
Now, while I had the set out I did do something that I had been thinking about for a long time. The generator was not real noisy but I have wanted to try and quiet it down a bit so I put dynamat over the OUTSIDE of the cover (between the obstructions and close clearance on the inside and not knowing if it really was going to make a difference I took the quick and easy route) then over the the dynamat I attached air bubble duct insulation for additional protection, the 1/4" or so stuff.
The difference in noise level is dramatic and after 4k miles or so the coverings are as good as when installed.
Knowing what I now know I would have taken the time to put the dynamat under the cover, if you decide to give it a try be certain not to obstruct the air flow.