Generator heads up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Generator heads up

A few months back I started the generator, undermount Onan 3.6? lp, it ran for about a minute then stalled and would not start-starter did not turn over.
Waited a few minutes, tried again-nothing, went outside took off the access cover and discovered the air filter cover missing and the air shroud for the fan had fragged with pieces jammed under the fan-nothing that could be done on the road so.....

Got back, removed the genset, and yes it is a royal pain even with jacks and a hard level surface-removed the entire cover and just as it appeared the fan was locked tight by both plastic debris and the air filter cover. Over two hundred dollars and a full day later the set was back in and running.

It never occured to me that this could happen so I pass it along-check the air filter cover, ours now has blue loc tite on it.

Now, while I had the set out I did do something that I had been thinking about for a long time. The generator was not real noisy but I have wanted to try and quiet it down a bit so I put dynamat over the OUTSIDE of the cover (between the obstructions and close clearance on the inside and not knowing if it really was going to make a difference I took the quick and easy route) then over the the dynamat I attached air bubble duct insulation for additional protection, the 1/4" or so stuff.
The difference in noise level is dramatic and after 4k miles or so the coverings are as good as when installed.

Knowing what I now know I would have taken the time to put the dynamat under the cover, if you decide to give it a try be certain not to obstruct the air flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So did the cover just implode?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM

jesilvas, wing nut for the air cleaner cover vibrated off; the cover got sucked into the fan and tore up the shroud jamming bits and pieces of plastic- including the entire bent up air filter cover under the engine fan, I have never head of this happening but then again look at what we bought

Phoenix Cruiser, the worst motorhome ever made

the worlds best diesel engine, in the best rv chasis for its class- in the worlds worst motorhome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.