MICE!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MICE!!

I'm new here,hello everyone!!

I went to pull the battery out of the rv,when I saw a mouse run right down the cables for the front jacks....it's a 5th wheel...

I bought it 3 years ago,but last season I found droppings everywhere...UGH!

I have been all over to close up holes...any one had this same problem?

Any good ideas to help avoid?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 AM

digger, we have our crappy rv parked under one of those tent style shelters-bought a less expensive one-called a boat garage-raised it up enough to get the coach under and then put 1" or so stone, about 4" deep then compacted the stone. Since '07 we have yet to either have rodent damage or even see signs of rodents. A friend tells me that the reason is the rock base, seems that mice prefer surfaces which allow fast travel which the the rocks do not.

Our house, less than 40' from the rv, is quite a different story-a constant battle with the little guys from fall through spring-so they either prefer seasonal camping in our home or there is something to the rock thing.

You should get a good idea of what the shelter looks like at;

Phoenix Cruiser, the worst motorhome ever made

By the way, those shelters are incredibly sturdy; ours has withstood very heavy snowfall and high winds without an issue. It did get taken down by a 100mph micro burst but only because a large tree uprooted and damaged the mounting of the shelter to the sill-I think you'll find the pictures impressive.

We got over 5 years from the first covering, can't say enough about these things.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E450psd View Post
digger, we have our crappy rv parked under one of those tent style shelters-bought a less expensive one-called a boat garage-raised it up enough to get the coach under and then put 1" or so stone, about 4" deep then compacted the stone. Since '07 we have yet to either have rodent damage or even see signs of rodents. A friend tells me that the reason is the rock base, seems that mice prefer surfaces which allow fast travel which the the rocks do not.

Our house, less than 40' from the rv, is quite a different story-a constant battle with the little guys from fall through spring-so they either prefer seasonal camping in our home or there is something to the rock thing.

You should get a good idea of what the shelter looks like at;

Phoenix Cruiser, the worst motorhome ever made

By the way, those shelters are incredibly sturdy; ours has withstood very heavy snowfall and high winds without an issue. It did get taken down by a 100mph micro burst but only because a large tree uprooted and damaged the mounting of the shelter to the sill-I think you'll find the pictures impressive.

We got over 5 years from the first covering, can't say enough about these things.
Thanks! I'll look into one.
I've got foxes,red-tail hawks,black snakes and still mice galore!! LOL
Somebody's not doing their nature job-LOL1
Thanks again
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 AM

digger, if you decide to go with the shelter pay attention to the tubing used, some is powder coated outside only, others, like our Rhino Shelter; use galvanized tubing.

Rhino Shelter

Also, at least with our brand, 1 1/4" emt fits perfectly inside the shelter tubing to raise it.

Lastly be sure to check your local restrictions on these types of shelters, we got ours up three days before they became regulated, now you can only put these up for a few months of the year, then it has to be taken down.

I can't imagine not having the rv under cover.

Last edited by E450psd; 12-31-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Try placing Downy dryer sheets throughout the camper, place them in cabinets and closets, storage boxes, where ever you think they may get in. We haven't had a problem for a couple of years now. Good luck
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Well,I got one with a trap,just don't know how many more are lurking..LOL!

Wiring integredy during tow is my biggest worry,if I have to kill a mouse to save my wiring-oh well-stay off my rig...

Thanks for all the good advice,I'll give it a try
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
Try placing Downy dryer sheets throughout the camper, place them in cabinets and closets, storage boxes, where ever you think they may get in. We haven't had a problem for a couple of years now. Good luck
I tried dryer sheets years ago. The little b-tards used them as bedding and plugged up my furnace with them. Since then I use moth balls and rat poison throughout the whole trailer and have never had an issue since. Makes them thirsty as heck and I do find the dead ones around my pond though after they head there for their final drink LOL.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM

The 5 gallon bucket trap, with antifreeze in the water if its cold-is brutally efficient at dispatching these little coach eating devils.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Retired Coastie

It's almost impossible to close up all the holes in RVs these days. We were fulltimers for a few years so I tried to seal ours up to hold heat and I was amazed at what I found (and I worked on RVs for a few years). I felt cold air coming from under our bed so I emptied the bed storage and took out the plywood that separate the hydraulics and found a 6 inch hole they had cut to run 2 small hydraulic hoses and a couple 12 volt wires. The hole had never been filled in, so I closed it up and ran the hoses and wires through grommets.

You need to look everywhere to find them. Close up any hole you find. Expandable foam works great. If you have a pass through storage, check in there really good. I found several behind a partition that covered the converter and breaker panel.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
There might be something to the gravel thing. We had mice once and that was when our trailer was parked on grass. Where we have it now it sits on gravel and we have no problems. One of our neighbors has theirs on more of a dirt surface and they have a constant battle with the little buggers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.