Lets talk RV/TT/TH Detailing... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Lets talk RV/TT/TH Detailing...

So with the purchase of the TH this weekend and Eli's new TT, I figure a new thread might be good to get some input from people on detailing. Helpful hints, frequency, products, etc.

I do my own detailing on all of our cars/trucks/bike, but have never actually waxed any trailers I've owned. I use Meguires Ultimate on the other stuff, but it isn't cheap and I think I'd use a whole bottle on the 27ft TH alone.

With that said, how often is everyone waxing their trailers? Do you just pay someone to do it once in the spring/fall, or what? I am being quoted like 450 to get it done at most places, and just can't imagine paying that for something like this.

I guess my reason for asking is that I do the truck 2-3 times a year, wifes car is brand new so twice before it hit 3 months old, and know I couldn't do the TH more than twice a year at best. It does sit in covered storage and only gets sun a few hours a day on the front, but even that is short and mostly covered.

Being an aluminum sided rig, are you able to use a buffer? I have a 10 inch with tons of pads so figure it wouldn't be that bad if I can, but not sure it would really get the wax off and I might be less thank happy.

I was thinking come spring I would get it out of storage, wash the whole thing, then wax 1/2 of it that time, and the other 1/2 when I brought it back and washed it. Issue is, that's going to be a full day for sure.

Any tips, products to make it easier, or am I the only one who is considering doing this by hand.... I have a place to store it with power, etc, just not covered. It's not where I store it year round, that place has 0 power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 AM

Typically, I've always done the detailing on my autos, trucks and Harleys.....the detail shops never do it good enough.

With the new Fox Mountain (27' 5th wheel), I washed it myself using Harley Sunwash. I then took it down to the local hand car wash place (they do a better job for $10 than the major car washes that charge $35.....I doubt any of them are legal, but they do a great job and that includes tire dressing).

I talk to the polish/wax guy.....asked for a quote. He said normally it'd be about $125 just to wax it (Meguires....I had to see the bottle) but as an initial try.....they did it for $50 if I got my car done for $25 and the truck for $35. I provided the two folding ladders and the two of them spent maybe half hour on the trailer. Incredable difference! Since it was only about six weeks old, I was really surprised that they could make it look that much different. Those guys really know what they're doing and I'll be happy to pay them the $125 the next time.

Go to the poor side of town and look for the private owned detail shops....I know of two places here in Sac that do a great job and are very, very reasonable in their prices.....kind of makes you wonder how they can afford to stay in business.

By the way, if you have decals like I have....carnuba wax is not recommended. Since then, I've done a lot more research and you might want to consider a coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant before waxing......

Recreation Vehicle - RVs

By the way, my 5th wheel is kept at an indoor storage warehouse (with about a couple hundred other motorhomes and boats) so I don't have a lot of the damaging effects, polluting rains, leaves, sun, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Yeah the 303 is on the spring order list for sure, for awning, roof, etc. I only use synthetic wax now, nothing else.

I was able to get my truck done last weekend, but not the trailer. I have enclosed storage as well, and can wax in there but need my genny for power, which is fine, if I want to use a buffer.

I got a best quote of 240 for washing and waxing, which I think is fair around my parts.

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat6183 View Post
Yeah the 303 is on the spring order list for sure, for awning, roof, etc. I only use synthetic wax now, nothing else.

I was able to get my truck done last weekend, but not the trailer. I have enclosed storage as well, and can wax in there but need my genny for power, which is fine, if I want to use a buffer.

I got a best quote of 240 for washing and waxing, which I think is fair around my parts.
Thanks for the info!
Man, I just can't help but ask.....where are you at? I'm betting it's not in a highly populated area where there's competition? Competition drives the cost down.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use simple green and follow up with eagle one wax as you dry. I wash and wax mine every time I take it out (6-12x/yr)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 AM

Columbus Ohio, everyone else was well over 300.00 for an actual detail. 240 included wash, including roof, 2 coats of wax, and interior as well. Trust me, not stoked at all, but I really am not sure I have the time come spring to do a full detail on it.

Yeah my wash before winter was simple green on the roof, awning as it had sat for a year straight, along with soft brush, then turtle wax- wash and wax on the sides. I then used Eagle One Spray Wax, which definitely was better than nothing and did help but I want to get some real wax on there this spring when I get it out.

I wash it every time I use it as well which is about 12 times or so, maybe more this season, but waxing it that often won't happen lol.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 AM

Yea, I certainly don't wash or wax mine every time I take it out. It's too expensive to let it sit in storage and be expensive garage jewelry so I took mine out eight weekends in a row. Gotta use it to get my money's worth out of it.

When we retire in five more years, we're going to be in it full time. I may get it done once a quarter.....at least twice a year. I believe that's what other full timers do that have nice looking rigs.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you keep it in covered/indoor storage, it probably only needs waxing once per year. Anything more is overkill and wasting time/money. I'm getting ready to try the "Red Max Pro" treatment on my nose cap since it's been getting a bit dull recently and waxing doesn't seem to help it last very long. My toy hauler is 7 years old and the sides still look brand new. The nose cap and ramp door need something to help bring back the luster, so I'm going to give the RMP a shot. Folks swear by it and YES, I know that it's floor wax.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Don't know why that wouldn't work. Floor wax is designed for vinyl (plastic floors). Most end caps now days are plastic.

Yes, mine is kept indoors during the week. But we take it out nearly every weekend (Fri-Sun) and we've already spent a couple weeks on the road....Mt. Lassen, Trinity Alps and the redwoods.

Heading to Quartzsite, Az. in Jan. for the largest gathering of RVs on the planet. I can't imagine 5,000 RVs camped out in the desert in one place but I'm going to find out.....

The Quartzsite Shows :: Home

The Quartzsite Shows :: General Info

Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
I use simple green and follow up with eagle one wax as you dry. I wash and wax mine every time I take it out (6-12x/yr)
Just want to say.....nice lookin truck you got there!

Here's a shot of my 12 Lariet FX-4..... The 20" wheels were an option that I just had to go with. I added the stainless fender trim and window vent shade/visors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.