Travel Trailer Purchase Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Travel Trailer Purchase Help

Hey guys, My wife and I started looking at trailers and I would like some help/opinions from you guys...

Budget: "Around" 10-13k
Needs: around a 27'-30' (unless I can find a smaller one with a big slideout I guess) Also, I am pretty much set on a Slideout for sure... Everyone I talk to says only with slideout!

Here are some we're looking into right now...

2005 Springdale 295BHS - OBO
2009 Patriot Travel Trailer By Forest river 29BH (Salvaged title. Small damage to passenger front corner)
25' Travel Trailer
2004 30' Fleetwood RV Wilderness Travel Trailer (Kinda like this one... Good length, slideout, looks taken care of, and the price is awesome!)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvd/3376268229.html (Kinda pricey.. just throwing it in here to compare I think. Unless I can get them under 15k)
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvd/3318025710.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/rvs/3346041650.html

Last edited by Six0~Stroker; 10-31-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those look pretty good - plenty of room for a family.

After having a TT without a slide out and now having a 5th wheel with slide outs, I'd definitely recommend a slide out. The TT was okay for just Pam and I, but if we had more in there, space was very limited. Also one trip out, I tweaked my back, keeping me in the trailer for a couple of days. That trailer was getting kind of small after a bit.

When you talk to the owners, find out if the trailers come with a weight distribution hitch / Sway bar set up. These help a lot.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A couple very important things to look for when buying used.

Go around to all the corners inside and push on the floor and look for soft spots especially inside of storage holds. Check the floor throughly for soft spots (dry rot)

Look around all the windows and penetrations for new caulking as this may be a sign of a previous leak and you will want to look VERY closely in that area. I bought a trailer once and was told that a leak had been professionally repaired problem was that they fixed the leak but not the damage that had been done by the leak.

Also check under trailer to see if the weather barrier has been repaired in any places. Another bad sign.

Apply water pressure to the system to verify no plumbing leaks.

Hook up power and verify all equipment is functional.

If it has A/C remove the cover on top and you can look down and around for water stains/leaks. If the coils are bent to hell evap and/or condenser you will probably have issues.

Pay close attention to the axles as most people overload their trailers and bend them. i good indicator of bent/overloaded is inside wear on the tires. Also look at the weight ratings as this will tell you how much gear you can haul. Remember the weight of the trailer on the tag is listed with out water, batts, A/C, propane ect, ect make sure to check out the rubber roof for damage and/or repairs.

Look behind the tail lights as this is another place water can penetrate.

Look at he electric brakes as well most places want a fortune to replace with new. And if the trailer was over loaded the brakes will wear much faster as well.

Hope this helps a little
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

One other thing stay away from aluminum siding if possible. You will hate trying to keep the black streaks clean. Pain in the *ss to wax and i had mine get peeled away while pulling in some high winds on a camping trip. Fiberglass is the only way to fly IMHO
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Wait, aren't all the trailers I posted with aluminum siding... except for a couple at the end
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstrom View Post
One other thing stay away from aluminum siding if possible. You will hate trying to keep the black streaks clean. Pain in the *ss to wax and i had mine get peeled away while pulling in some high winds on a camping trip. Fiberglass is the only way to fly IMHO
Actually have to disagree with this, but everyone will have an opinion on these kinds of things. Fiberglass is actually heavier, and is more difficult to repair if you need to fix something underneeth it or replace a section. BUT he is right about black streaks(they make cleaner for this), and waxing is true too. So pick the battle according which is more important.

Also, bathroom size, this is to me one of the biggest things with TT's/TH, etc. The last TT we had was 26ft, but had a walk through bathroom with the "delux" shower, it was in the corner of the walk through and huge, but the ones with pics including the cheaper one you commented that you life, have a full tub, which is a must.

I may suggest thinking about what all you will be using it for too before getting only a TT. I know we've had 2 of them, and are finally making the upgrade to a toy hauler this weekend because things have changed and we need the garage for toys to take with us. If you EVER plan on a golf cart, 4wheeler, dirt bikes, etc. make the investment now and don't pay for it later.

They all look legit especially with a big slide like that, our TH doesn't have a slide, but instead a sep. garage with double entry and wall in the rig seperating it from living quarters, so it can be open to add way more room.

The other tips given are really good ones too, actually I have this huge checklist that is in the RV section I printed, and its 12 pages of stuff to look at with the new setup.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

i have to agree with madcat repairs are easier with aluminum and it is lighter, i have had both and i just prefer the glass i just got tired of constantly fighting the stains. The black streak remover takes the wax off so they require lots of yearly elbow grease where as with my glass one i can get away with a clean and wax every other year, but there are many satisfied aluminum sided TT owners the key to owning is not to damage it....LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Madcat,
I already have a 4wheeler so technically I SHOULD be getting a toy hauler (which is what I started looking at, but realized that living space is horrible in a T.H. with no "real" furniture but just flip downs unless we go 35'++ (which is huge.)

And I already printed that checklist, thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah but a 4wheeler can just go in your bed So definitely not a bad option to get more living space overall. I just had an enclosed for my race bike, then had a TT for the dirt track races but we don't want to have to tow both to get a golf cart 2.5 hrs away, or have to sleep in the enclose trailer. I did that this season and it sucked, froze in the spring up next to lake erie, and then sweated non stop in the summer in PA.

Plus maint. on 2 trailers sucked, 8 wheels/tires all swapped within 12 mos, new roof on the TT, and a blow out on the enclosed AFTER swapping a wheel, so new fender, marker etc.

Having 1 trailer to do both will make my life a lot easier. Plus I think I can actually fit my truck and TH on the parking pulloff I had installed, the night before any races to make life easier.

But that one that was 9800 or whatever looked legit, HUGE shwoer, just like the one we are getting, and sounds like a great deal. NOW is the time to buy, season is over and people/dealers have to store them, or pay taxes come new years if they are on the lot.

Thats why I sold both my trailers and upgraded finally to what I've wanted for 4 years.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

This is why i think IMHO that truck campers offer more flexibility you are never limiter to what you can tow along with it. I have never owned a toy hauler but i have always assumed that the smells ( gas, oil, mud, ect, ect) associated with whatever toys you were hauling would stink up the joint. There are no facts behind that statement just an assumption on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.