RV veterans. Gotta a pick your mind - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RV veterans. Gotta a pick your mind

So due to my work, Contruction, I have found that our company is searching more places instead of just locally like they have in the passed years. Some of the jobs they just got are well over 100 miles one way. Instead of renting a place it looks like to me id rather buy or make payments on a 5th wheel and have something to show for it, not to mention vacation in as well. Problem im having is i know nothing about this world of living and I can look all day at Rvs and not know what is a good qaulity unit. I dont mind a used one at all, but I do know I want washer/dryer on board and at least 3 slides. Wife wants a seperate pooper area.....I guess thats for me! Anyway any help would be nice.

Also just bought a 4.5" icon lift and debating if i even want to bother if im going to use an RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It would help if you told us a little bit about the truck you have?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 AM

Biggest thing I've learned from the last two campers I've had (28 foot travel trailer to a 33 foot 5th wheel), is dont settle for small holding tanks. I have 3 kids and we fly through water and they tend to fill up the black tank rather quickly. Our current setup has a 70 gallon fresh, 70 gallon grey and 60 black between two bathrooms. Couldnt be happier.......minus I'm close to exceeding my GVWR, so I'm looking at F350's and F450's
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Will you have hookups usually or not?
Gonna be hot where you are?
Anything you can think of will help ppl steer you right.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Im in a 2009 F250 4x4. its a Crew with short bed. H&S exhaust...etc
anyway i live in Missouri so i will see all sorts of weather. I plan to live here during the week and then i would commute home on the weekends. I plan to park at a RV park so hookups and everything should be there. I never thought about the holding tanks!
It will be my wife and I as she works in the city as well.

Washer dryer in the camper is a must.... I need a 4 season camper, from what im learning so far....heated cooled storage and piping? thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Retired Coastie

One thing about campers that are advertised as "4 season"--- They fail to tell you that the 4th season should be spent in Florida. True 4 season RVs are hard to find and expensive. Things to keep in mind---There are only a couple manufacturers of furnaces, fridges, water heaters, etc, so all RV builders use the same components. The differences are in build quality, fit and finish, etc. RV furnaces aren't built with full time use in mind, so they will probaly crap out after 1 or 2 winters of full time use. I hard piped a Big Buddy propane heater in my Raptor and it kept it warmer than the furnace, with no heat being wasted out the exhaust vent. If you're going to be in it during the winter, crawl around underneath and check all water line for low spots. These are places you'll need to install heat tapes. Also you'll need a dehumidifier for the winter. Since they're not insulated all that well, you'll have quiet a bit of condensation when you're running the heat.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Yea "four season" is very general. Slap some covering underneath the trailer and maybe put insulation down there. That's four season. Some will actually have heater ducts running to the underbelly though. If you really wanna keep it from freezing, you'll either get a pretty high end model, or have to just DIY.
If you have hookups, then just going out to dump the tanks shouldn't be a big issue. But if you dry camp, big tanks can help.
The truck should be fine. I'd hold off on the lift though, until you find what you like.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Good point MikeThompson made, we use a Big Buddy heater too (we just use the little 1lb bottles). It's a lot more efficient than our furnace was.

The majority of the "4 season" and "Polar Package" campers you'll see only have the enclosed undercarriage (which is just a thin 1/4" plastic sheet running the length of the belly of the camper).

I personally dont like the idea of buying a camper used. Unless you knew who owned it before you, you really have no idea how well maintained the camper was. I see a lot of campers in our neighborhood that arent maintained. Most people dont realize you have to reseal your roof once a year or grease your slides gears and treat the slide weatherstripping. The only way I would recommend someone buying used is if it's cheap, it's a hobby and they are not sure if RV'ing is for them yet. You'll lose a lot of money as soon as you drive off of the lot with a new camper. Bought our 5th wheel for $40k 4 months ago and probably will only get $30k if we wanted to sell it now.

The heavier the camper, the more stable it is when it's parked (less wobble when someone is walking around or you significant other gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom). Lightweight is better for MPG and traveling though.

If you're living in it you might want to look at getting a camper with household appliances too (typical RV's come with amonia fridges that are smaller).
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

I found a12 flagstaff setup for full time livivng. So I read. It's a classic model .
Old 09-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey View Post
I found a12 flagstaff setup for full time livivng. So I read. It's a classic model .
what's the model

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.