Aluminum panel replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aluminum panel replacement

07 Keystone Springdale 5er. Anyone know how to remove the exterior aluminum panels. Had some pretty severe winds on the weekend and our patio umbrella put a dent in the side of the trailer. I'm wondering how hard it is to replace the panel or if it's even possible. Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm thinking they go on much like the siding on houses,the first row is at the bottom then they lock in and go upward.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Just want to be sure how they interconnect so I don't bend the crap out of the good ones getting to the dented one. I got lucky it put dents in one panel. I'll post up some pics later today.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 AM

They most likely have a j type hook at the top that hooks into the upper panel.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Thanks, I'm looking at maybe putting a piece of trim over it if I can find something compatible that will look like it's supposed to be there. If not gonna have to try and replace this panel.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Sry I didn't reply earlier. It's not hard.
The bottom of each piece is stapled down usually on the studs. The top slips into the bottom of the next one up.
If you can show which one you wanna replace, I'll tell you what you gotta do.
Basically, you take everything out that is holding the pieces on. Windows, cargo doors, lights, everything. Trim on the fronts and backs. If there's a slide out, it might have to come out because some of the trim holding the flap gaskets on goes over the metal. If certain lights or whatever's aren't screwed onto studs through the metal, you can leave some of them.
The piece below the one to be replaced has to be popped out of the trim lock above it very carefully! They can crease.
Then the piece above can be taken out by punching the staples holding it on in. It's a lot of work sometimes.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Here's some pics of the panel which needs replacing.
Cheers, Don

Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Glow Plugs Only

I'm thinking the next hassle will be trying to even get a piece that matches and also the decals will need replacement as well.
Thanks, Don
Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Well, you're kinda lucky. You don't have to deal with a HUGE long piece and the corner trim. But you have to deal with that tiny little piece above the refr. vent.
So, what I would do is take off these things:
Things on the piece below the dinged one - rear bunk access door, entry door, water heater face bezel. I can't see if there's anything else that might hold that piece down to a stud.
On the dinged piece - after the two doors, it looks like the refr vent is the only thing left.
So after that's all off, you should be able to bend the middle of the lower piece on one of it's edges so that it pops out of the lock of the dinged piece. Then just run along the length of it and take all of it out of the lock. You can let it hang there and it'll be ok, looks like the awning arm will hold it. But it's sharp, so be careful.
Then you will see staples holding the dinged piece on below the lock at the bottom. Punch em in, and pull it off. Put the new piece up to to and cut to match. Once you're ready, put the new on in. It can bend and crease very easily at the thin spot above the refr vent. Two ppl are needed. Push it up into the lock, staple the bottom down to hold it in place, then bend the lower piece and slip it back into the new piece. Clean up all your stuff; the doors, WH bezel, refr vent. Apply non-butyl (white) putty anywhere screws penetrate the outside and fill the valleys' of the siding with putty to fill gaps. Put it all back on. Trim putty. Silicone along the top and top corners of all things.
For a shop estimate, I'd be looking at around 8hrs or so to do all that.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Correct, I forgot decals. I haven't done a colored panel, but I'm sure you can get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.