Brakes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes?

Here's a question....should camper brakes lock up when manual overide is pushed?

Reason for asking...went up to Gettysburg,Pa and was going up I83,and out of no where a cloud of smoke appeared and cars going every where.

I had my arse out out the seat smashing the brakes while I had my hand on the manual over ride sending 14 volts to the camper brakes....but very little response....missed the impact thank God,but was too dam close for comfort.

Any one know what these brakes should do?

The pads and magnets are good,drums turned,but stopping sucks!

Could this be a bearing tightness issue as well?

Never had an emergency stop like this before.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It really depends on the setup. I have a tripple axle and some of the brakes locked up easily when I got it. Once I reconnected the three that had cut wires, I could no longer lock them up probably due to voltage loss. I would start by jacking up the trailer and tightening the brakes.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 AM

^^ Sounds like a plan. THey should lock up if they are set up correctly. I know mine will if I slam on the brakes.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

BUT....do you really want them locking up? Locked up wheels are skidding which isn't helping the braking any....especially in an emergency stop situation.

When using the trailer brake's manual lever, you should feel the trailer brakes engage. If you're not, I would agree, an adjustment is in order.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
BUT....do you really want them locking up? Locked up wheels are skidding which isn't helping the braking any....especially in an emergency stop situation.

When using the trailer brake's manual lever, you should feel the trailer brakes engage. If you're not, I would agree, an adjustment is in order.
Well,If I sent 14 volts,yeah,but 12 and under,no-don't want that..just control

I normally hit the brakes enough to use the trailer's,but I always stay far enough back for slow,easy stops,so I've not dealt with a quick stop until now.

I just grabbed the over ride and maxed out the response,I have over a million miles behind me and never had a call that close-scared the chit out of me

But with adjustment,what's the best way?

Manually with a spoon,or backing up engaging the brakes for auto adjust?

I did the second part,and all parts were cleaned before doing so,but I'm not happy with the results...just don't want to over-tighten doing manually

Thanks for advice in advance
Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM

I could be wrong, but are not all trailer brakes manual adjust only? yes if you max the lever they should not turn the wheels at all on a tug test. if the brakes, and controller are set properly, you should be able to do an emergency stop with out touching the manual control. In fact if the controller is set properly by design it gives a faux anti-lock brake effect. that is because the controller operates off a accelerometer, so it senses what ever rate of deacceleration the truck brakes can generate before they start releasing. In an emergency both of your hands belong on the steering wheel
Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Premium Member

Theoretically you should be able to lock them up, but if you are, then your gain is not set correctly. The gain should be set rolling flat at 25mph, using only the brake controller, squeeze it all the way, if they lock up, back the gain off a bit. Rinse and repeat. They should be just on the verge of locking up when you're done. A skidding tire is an out of control tire. If you can't get them to lock up at all, then you need to manually adjust them, or replace some parts. I don't trust auto adjusters so I always manually adjust them. With the tire off the ground, turn the adjuster until you can't turn the tire anymore. Then start backing it off until it spins freely. It's ok to hear the brakes touching occasionally, you just don't want any friction build up.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Some great advice in this thread and I'm VERY interested because I have a similar type of issue. Are you using the Ford factory brake controller or aftermarket controller?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Some great advice in this thread and I'm VERY interested because I have a similar type of issue. Are you using the Ford factory brake controller or aftermarket controller?
I'm betting he's using an aftermarket one due to his being a 99, I don't think they offered a factory TBC in that era, at least my 2002 didn't have one.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of the trailer being able to stop the truck within a reasonable distance soley using the trailer brakes without the truck brakes. While it wouldn't be a complete lockup, it would have to have the force to stop the vehicle.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfuel06 View Post
I'm betting he's using an aftermarket one due to his being a 99, I don't think they offered a factory TBC in that era, at least my 2002 didn't have one.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of the trailer being able to stop the truck within a reasonable distance soley using the trailer brakes without the truck brakes. While it wouldn't be a complete lockup, it would have to have the force to stop the vehicle.
Good call. I guess I should have looked at his signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.