Last camping trip of the year...ugh - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Last camping trip of the year...ugh

So I'm just going to vent a little,

We decided to do a final trip at our favorite spot here on Friday night. I was already hesitant to go since it's getting pretty cold at night already. Well we pull into our spot at around 9:30pm, pitch black out. I setup my trailer and get the fire going. As we are sitting around I hear a loud crunch, my dog has found something nice to chew on. I run over and pull out what looks to be a rib bone out of his mouth, think nothing of it and toss it in the woods.

It's now morning, about 7:30am I wake up to my two-year old golden retriever throwing up on my couch. I kick him off and he then throws up again on the floor of the trailer. We clean up his mess and think nothing other than an upset stomach. He is now standing at the door wanting out, I open the door and he bolts out the door and I kid you not for the next 2-3 hours is throwing up every 15 minutes, nothing but stomach bile.

We are an hour drive from the nearest city, we call our vet and the recommend a place and we go there. We arrive at noon, we don't leave till 5pm. He has now had fecal smear, x-rays, blood labs done, and my "last camping trip" is so far running me 600 bucks in vet bills. The current diagnosis is "garbage gut". My dog is still drugged up next to me, not holding down food and I may be looking at a partial blockage (even though the x-rays were inconclusive). If he does have part of that damned rib bone in him it's a 2500 surgery.

Long story short, please for the love of god clean up your messes on camp sites and keep an eye out for what your pooch may find. Normally I do a walk through of our camp sites to make sure there is nothing he can get into. It was pitch black when we arrived and I used a propane lantern to check it over, but between the rocks and the bone I missed it.

Anyhow, end of story! Hopefully you guys had better "last trips".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That sucks man, but i feel ya... i had a couple of my old dogs several years back with me out at the lake, and they kept going over this hill down the way and they would come back if i yelled at em to come back, but they would try and sneak back. Come to find a whole damn brisket was calling their name. When i got home it didnt take long for whatever bacteria that was in the rotting meat to screw up their insides.

I'm less of a worrier when it comes to dogs though, so i basically just shut em both up in a spare bathroom (Apartment living FTL) and went in to mop every couple hours. Was pretty disgusting to say the least

Hope your buddy feels better.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Yeah,

Bad thing is he is acting as if something is blocking him up. Diarrhea came out pretty red this morning, wont eat food, barely drinks water and is pee'n inside the house (he's a house trained dog). Hoping it's just the gut rot at this point and the antibiotics will kick in sometime today and help him fight this off.

Had to hold him down and force the pill down this morning, absolutely doesn't want to chow on anything haha. Teach him to eat random woodland creatures!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Conservative and Proud

Poor baby!!! Is he doing better today?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM

He is!

He's taking antibiotics and probiotics which have him pretty groggy. However I did see some solid poop in the backyard which means he doesn't have something blocking him, and it was clear (no blood).

So, looks like it was just garbage gut. Some naaasty stuff. The Vet did say it was good we brought him in though, they usually only throw up a few times and it's over much like us and food poisoning.

Anyhow figured I would attach a picture of the pooch, it's not often the 2 year old golden lets the wife and I manipulate him for pictures!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM

glad to hear he is doing better!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

C'mon you even let him have the remote???? What's he watching Benji????

Seriously, hope he comes through okay.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Poor little guy...hope he gets better soon and remembers not to do that again

From the looks,I think he learned a lesson and not to do that

I agree...clean up your trash before you leave and be respectful of the people coming in after you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.