largest cabover truck camper in a short bed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
largest cabover truck camper in a short bed

Hey there, how is everyone?
Alright I intend to go from CO to Northern CA, to vancouver, to NY, to the FL Keys, then back to CO
We will be leaving Thanksgiving week and returning who knows when, mid Jan for now.

I have an 08 f-350 SRW Shortbed, I would like to find the largest possible (for obvious reasons) slide in truck camper, I would prefer a slide out as it has more room, I will need 4 season capability

Does anyone have and good suggestions? I would like something that is designed for a shortbed so it doesn't look all griswoldy and simply to ensure I am not over some sort of weight or size limitation

Maybe some other feedback or experience like "I had this...., it was way to big for the truck and was difficult to drive"

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
Hey there, how is everyone?
Alright I intend to go from CO to Northern CA, to vancouver, to NY, to the FL Keys, then back to CO
We will be leaving Thanksgiving week and returning who knows when, mid Jan for now.

I have an 08 f-350 SRW Shortbed, I would like to find the largest possible (for obvious reasons) slide in truck camper, I would prefer a slide out as it has more room, I will need 4 season capability

Does anyone have and good suggestions? I would like something that is designed for a shortbed so it doesn't look all griswoldy and simply to ensure I am not over some sort of weight or size limitation

Maybe some other feedback or experience like "I had this...., it was way to big for the truck and was difficult to drive"

Thanks
In a nutshell, almost any TC will put you at or above the manufacturers limits for a SRW truck. They are all heavy - - - and heavier than the manufacturer's sticker indicates. Most certainly any TC with a slideout will be at the upper, upper limits for a SRW truck, and will be well over the manufacturers specs for one or more of the trucks components.

You need to carefully understand your trucks limitations. For example, what is the load rating of your tires, wheels, rear axle, etc.? Think to yourself "what's the weakest link in the chain" and that's what you're limited by.

I carry a 2005 Lance 845 on a 2006 F250, SB, CC, Powerstroke, 4x4. It is HEAVY. Recent weighing on the way to a camping spot put the total at 11,400LBs. 4,800LBs on the front axle and 6,600LBs on the rear. Thats the truck with 3/4 tank of diesel, the camper, two people, 29 gallons of fresh water, and empty holding tanks. Assuming approximately 7,700LBs for the truck, driver, and one passenger, that puts the camper at approximately 3,700LBs. And yet the "as configured" weight is listed as 2,730LBs

My truck didn't come with the Camper Package (since it has the 20" wheels), so I had to add a rear sway bar. I also had to add rear air bags since I didn't have the rear helper springs. In order to carry the camper with the most stability I had to inflate the air bags to 95 PSI (of the rated 100 PSI capacity). Recently I added dual rear factory helper springs and upgraded my coil springs to 7,000LB F550 coils. I also added the Tork Lift Stable Loads which put even more of the Camper load on the helper springs. This allows me to now run about 50 PSI in the air bags.

Truck handles it well, and I spend a lot of time off road with it. But again, it's heavy. I would not go any larger without switching to a DRW.

If you haven't already, suggest you check out this website:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers

Good Luck

Last edited by skanj0; 09-10-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.