Another Excellent Tow. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Excellent Tow.

Towed the 5th wheel up to the Grand Canyon last week... Just love the ease with which this PSD pulls my 11 - 12 thousand pound trailer... You go from 1200 feet to over 7000 feet in just around 110 miles so it's pretty much uphill most of the way there (there is a few miles of down hill)... Got just about 14 miles to the gallon but I was taking my time... Rarely exceeded 65 - 70 but tried to keep it between 60 and 65... If the hill got a bit steep and the truck slowed to 55 before I could get back on the gas I didn't worry about mashing the pedal any harder and just let it run at 55ish till the hill subsided a bit...

Man, I do love this TRUCK...

Ken....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Congrats, Ken! How was the weather? Did it stay nice and sunny or did it rain while you were there? That's great mileage, by the way. How was your trek back up out of Camp Verde? I know I have to stay behind the trucks in the right lane when pulling that hill...
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Weather was a two fold dilema for me... It was beautiful most of the day until the later afternoon when we'de get a bit of a drizzle and then stay overcast till late at night or early in the morning... No biggey there cuz you know what it's like in the Phoenix area... But the real issue I had is that I just got the new camera for my telescope... Here in the Phoenix area the light pollution has become so bad that with a 10 inch mirror I can only see the brightest objects as the city lights just drown everything else out.... Obviously I was going to be in dark skies and was really looking forward to some good viewing and pictures, oh well...

We had elk and mule deer roaming through the campgrounds every afternoon except one ... My wife just laughed knowing that the only thing I could shoot them with was our camera ... All in all though it was a great trip as we saw the canyon from pretty much one end to the other for a change....

The pull back out of the Verde was a piece of cake... Even when I got stuck behind some slow trucks I was able to jump out and accelerate around them without slowing down the folks coming up behind me too much ....

Ken....
Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like a lot of fun... I'm with you, I love to head up north and spend some time in the woods. It's the perfect time of the year, too! Next time you head up, don't forget to bring your camera, so you can show off our beautiful forests and sunsets...

Since my daughter is starting @ NAU next week, the wife and I were planning to pull the 5er up north, unpack my daughter's stuff at the dorm and spend a few days in the woods relaxing. No quads, no dirt bikes, just spending some time in the woods. Unfortunately, I'm having some tire problems, which has thrown a wrench into the whole plan... PLUS, since it is just before the Labor Day holiday, we wouldn't have to fight with traffic getting there or back nor would we have to deal with loud, obnoxious campers... Oh, well. Perhaps we will plan it for the week after DITD...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up Virgin Voyage

Getting ready for my first tow of my fifth wheel with my 'new to me' 2000 F350 psd (27,700 miles!). Traded up from a 24' 5er (5200 lbs.) to a 30' (9000 lbs) and the Tundra just wouldn't do it any more.Gotta luv the Superglide hitch I had in the Tundra though. I am a bit apprehensive of the pull through the Salt River canyon which has about the same change in elevation but does it in about 30 miles. I think a little patience will make it work OK. I have made the trip a number of times with the smaller rig. I am enjoying the web site and appreciate all the information that is available here for us newbies .
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Please install a tranny temp gauge on an automatic before towing, you'd be surprised how quickly you can get over 220 degrees and ruin the tranny.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
It should pull fine but i also reccomend a trans temp gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.