cougar travel trailers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cougar travel trailers?

wifey has us looking at the half ton towables. with polar package etc. anyone have any experience on how they stand up. what features to get or not get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cougar is made by Keystone, which has survived in this economy since they sell high quality RV's. The features are purely preferential based on what you want. Have you ever owned/used a TT before? If not, I would suggest that you do so that you can determine which features are most important.

I went in favor of the 10 gal hot water tank since the 6 gal couldn't keep up with the demand for my family of 4 without some recovery time (usually 30 minutes or less). I also opted for the 15k BTU ducted AC unit since the 13.5k BTU non-ducted couldn't quite keep up with the high temps that we see in Arizona AND there were some warm areas inside the trailer since it wasn't ducted throughout the coach. I also opted for 50 amp service since I have a 33ft long 5th wheel and wanted the option of upgrading to a second AC unit without too much issue. I also went with the installed generator (5500W) and automatic transfer switch, which make a seamless transition between power sources.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
our experience has been limited to a 1981 scamper slide in truck camper, cold water only, no shower etc. very basic and tiny. we do definitely get some warm days up here in the "Great White North". most of what dealers have in stock here seems to have been spec'ed with the ducted AC. that note about the small water was the kind of thing i was hoping people could tell me. we kind of prefer back country dry camping, so a genset might be in the future as well. so far we have survived without the amenities. the thing that has us looking is the general lack of space in the slide in. 1ton SRW LB can handle a decent slide in, but when you want to explore, dropping it can be a nuisance, as well as price. a good slide in run about the same as a 30 foot cougar. per square foot the cougar's price is 30% of the truck camper.we have gone out winter camping for Christmas break 2-3 times and can get by dry camping, but knowing what outside temp you can keep the inside warm, keep the window frost to a min(new ones here are coming double pane windows) and possibly keep water in the tanks in the real world. not that non existant salesman's world

Last edited by nitrogen; 09-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, but once you have camped with the amenities, it makes it REALLY HARD to go back to doing without. We used to tent camp for years when the kids were young. I can't imagine waking up with a rock in my back because the air mattress deflated in the middle of the night.

I LOVE my toy hauler with all the amenities. Having 110 gallons of fresh water means that you can actually have a decent shower, instead of just a spit bath, when you only have a couple of 5 gallon containers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.