anyone use a transfer tank in the bed for resh water? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone use a transfer tank in the bed for resh water?

i have a 2006 33' Forrest River travel trailer that sleeps 8 but the fresh water tank capacity is only like 35 gallons, way too small! I was toying with the idea of hauling a plastic 55 gallon drum of water in the bed of the truck, (approx 400 lbs,) and using it as a transfer tank.

I jsut wondered if anyone else does this and what kinda designs they have come up with for a rack, ( to keep the drum steady and secure,) and also a pump to get the water from teh bed of the truck into the camper. I was kinda thinking of using some 4x4's and amking a simple rack for the drum with a little in line filter and maybe a check valve along wiht a small 12v transfer pump and a garden hose. Maybe plug the 12V transfer pump into the cigarette lighter for power? Let me know what you guys have done that works. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by johnnyroastbeef; 07-12-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's a pretty good idea. I have a 110 gallon fresh water tank so it has never been a problem for me, but I'm interested in what others might be doing.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
That's a pretty good idea. I have a 110 gallon fresh water tank so it has never been a problem for me, but I'm interested in what others might be doing.
maybe the better move is install a supplemental onboard fresh water tank. I have bunks in the back of the camper and could fit one under the bunk i think, but i'm guessing i could only fit 35 gallons. might end up being easier just plumbing the onboard tank. i figured more guys would have had this same issue with needing more water storage.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is a pretty good idea actually.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

I have said it once, and Ill say it again, having air on the truck is probably the best thing I have added to the truck. So what does that have to do with this thread?! I do what you are looking for but with VO. When I leave on a big trip I will take some extra VO in plastic barrels in the bed. To get the VO out of the barrels and into the tank I put air on one end and a hose to the tank on the other. Put a few PSI in the barrel and the oil Flows. You would be better off since water is much thinner and will move faster. Now be careful because >5 psi and that barrel will look like it is going to pop! I have a regulator on mine and usually I dont see the gauge move so I dont know really how much pressure is there. I can move a 30 gal barrel of oil in about 3 -5 minutes depending on the conditions.

Add some air to the truck and you will be amazed at how often you use it. And having those monster train horns are a big plus to an air system too
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
I have said it once, and Ill say it again, having air on the truck is probably the best thing I have added to the truck. So what does that have to do with this thread?! I do what you are looking for but with VO. When I leave on a big trip I will take some extra VO in plastic barrels in the bed. To get the VO out of the barrels and into the tank I put air on one end and a hose to the tank on the other. Put a few PSI in the barrel and the oil Flows. You would be better off since water is much thinner and will move faster. Now be careful because >5 psi and that barrel will look like it is going to pop! I have a regulator on mine and usually I dont see the gauge move so I dont know really how much pressure is there. I can move a 30 gal barrel of oil in about 3 -5 minutes depending on the conditions.

Add some air to the truck and you will be amazed at how often you use it. And having those monster train horns are a big plus to an air system too
yeah that's a really good idea but the initial investmetn in on-board air is kinda pricey for somethign i don't reaally use very often at all. I sometiems think about keeping another drum of diesel fuel in the bed for super long trips...but i'm not sure about teh DOT rules on that kinda thing. prolly some regs banning that kinda practice! I'd like to have one of those WARN winches that has the air compressor on it but again the budget is minimal fo that kinda upgrada at thsi point. thanks for the idea, keep em comnig!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM

It would be slower but you can even use one of those little plug into the cig lighter compressors that takes 45 minutes to fill a tire. You dont need a high end viair system.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
It would be slower but you can even use one of those little plug into the cig lighter compressors that takes 45 minutes to fill a tire. You dont need a high end viair system.
yeah that's actually a really good and cheap idea. that would take a while but it doens't get much simpler to hook that up either. My only worry would be that when i transfer the water from the bed of the truck to the camper it could be a run of hose of 20' or maybe longer. that little compressor would be red hot by the time that 30 gallon fresh water tank in the camper was filled. but i bet it would work. i mght have to test that out since i have one of those little compressors. great idea. i'll let you know how it works. thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM

I would look on Craigslist for someone parting out an old camper and buy the fresh water tank and 12v.pump. But my question is where are you dumping your grey and black water tanks? I almost always run out of room in my grey tanks before I run out of fresh water. Cool idea anyhow.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM

well when we're hunting out of the camper we can dump the grey water right wehre we're parked with no real issues. We tailgate a lot up at PSU in the back farm RV land and I was hoping to just let the grey water.trickle out inot the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.