Cruise Control or Not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cruise Control or Not

Ok. I have an 06 f250 king ranch crew cab with a 5 inch exhaust, cold intake, gauges, and custom tunes from innovative diesel on my SCT. I have started pulling a 34 foot big country fifth wheel my wife and I just bought and have a few questions. I run my tuner on tow tune and my camper weighs 10,000 empty. If I set my cruise control around 68-70 mph, my egts get up to 1300 pretty quick when I hit hills because the truck doesn't shift soon enough in cruise and drops gears really quick. When I do not use cruise control, I can keep the truck around 70 without much shifting and my egts stay down. My question is do you all on here use your cruise or when you are towing this much weight just not use it? I can't stand all the shifting in cruise control and was wondering what everyone else thought. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I tow heavy loads, sometimes cross country, I know what you mean about the shifting. What I do is put it in cruise control, I set it at 65 mph (long trips 5 mph is nothing) and occasionally when I feel the truck needs a bit more power I give her some extra throttle. Then I let off and let CC resume. Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you can run without cruise and kinda roll with it you can get better fuel mileage. A friend of mine proved this to me. He ran his 04 F350 with 16,000 behind it his way and then I ran it the same trip same truck same load a week later and I had 3 miles/gallon less.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The problem with cruise control is that is tries to maintain a constant speed whether up or down a hill

I don't know what level % of grades you tow on,but I'm near the Western Maryland mountains and have pulled up through semi-hairpin turns as well as 2-3 miles up hill grades and never got above 1100..and still around 70 mph with the SCT in strategy tune...but I've never used cruise when towing..

I tow like I drive in the snow...use down hill speed to get up hill momentum...seems to work pretty good

I smoked a new Duramax with the ol' 7.3 up a long grade and he had a smaller camper...but he rode his brakes all the way down the hill-just like cruise control,then had no power for the uphill climb.

Just do like the truckers do
Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I NEVER use cruise control when I tow. It tends to make me lazy as a driver and I can't afford to be lazy when I'm grossing 20k lbs...
Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I use cruise control to keep my speed constant and give me one less thing to worry about. That way I can keep scanning straps for slack and anything that may have shifted or needs to be rechained.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It depends on the situation. If I'm running light I use cruise, but if I'm running heavy or in a bunch of hills then no cruise.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I NEVER use cruise control when I tow. It tends to make me lazy as a driver and I can't afford to be lazy when I'm grossing 20k lbs...
I completely agree, my foot may get tired holding the pedal down, but at least the pain keeps me awake!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Big loads and cruise cause undue strain on the drivetrain. Cruise wants to hold the same speed-sometimes pulling a grade that is impractical. Truck will downshift, go near wot, or if it doesn't downshift EGT's can get out of hand quickly. I'll use cruise IF I'm running flat, but not if there is any incline.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM

I pull a 35' TT with my F-350 Crewcab dually and never used CC ,I guess I want more control of the brakes . And also like stated get better mileage W/O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.