Diesel Generator Recommendations please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rio Rancho NM
Posts: 587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Generator Recommendations please

Looking for a portable diesel gen that me and the wife can load in bed of the truck. Anyone have one that they would recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't know nuttin....

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tuttle, OK
Posts: 17,160
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good luck with that. Most diesel gensets will wight more than 3 guys could load. Look at the military surplus auction sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Slacker



 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 17,193
Thanks: 13
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can get a cheapie "Harbor Freight-style" unit, but it's going to be a noisy SOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rio Rancho NM
Posts: 587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
good luck with that. Most diesel gensets will wight more than 3 guys could load. Look at the military surplus auction sites.
Ya the lightest one I have found so far is 200 lbs. Sad thing is all I need a 3500 watt gen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rio Rancho NM
Posts: 587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
You can get a cheapie "Harbor Freight-style" unit, but it's going to be a noisy SOB.
Thanks but no more harbor freight except for the cheap hand tools....... The wife heard a Honda gen running she wanted that till she found out the cost, no more Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walpole, MA
Posts: 1,296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmoker View Post
Ya the lightest one I have found so far is 200 lbs. Sad thing is all I need a 3500 watt gen.
Any reason you NEED a diesel gen? I mean a gas 3500 watt set up shouldn't be that hard to find and 5 gallons of gas and your good for a while! I had a 6500 watt diesel gen set that tipped the scales around 400-450 pounds...tore my lat trying to get it out of my truck. Oh man was that thing noisy and smokey! I would not recommend it to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Slacker



 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 17,193
Thanks: 13
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
Any reason you NEED a diesel gen? I mean a gas 3500 watt set up shouldn't be that hard to find and 5 gallons of gas and your good for a while! I had a 6500 watt diesel gen set that tipped the scales around 400-450 pounds...tore my lat trying to get it out of my truck. Oh man was that thing noisy and smokey! I would not recommend it to anyone.
Damn, bro! Haven't seen you here in quite some time. Welcome back!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 264
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
Any reason you NEED a diesel gen? I mean a gas 3500 watt set up shouldn't be that hard to find and 5 gallons of gas and your good for a while! ....
I have a cheapo 3500 watt gas unit, Master Craft is the brnad name but i think they are very similar to the Harbor freight models and you can pick one up for 300-350 bucks. it has the Honda clone motor on it and it runs like a top. it starts on the first pull and literally runs till it's out of gas. really reliable and alomost maintence free. it's not the super quiet honda inverter type you mentiooned. those are several thosands for a little 2000 watt model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walpole, MA
Posts: 1,296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Damn, bro! Haven't seen you here in quite some time. Welcome back!!!
Why thank you....I finally sold my Dodge and picked up an 2002 F350 so I am back on the light side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroastbeef View Post
I have a cheapo 3500 watt gas unit, Master Craft is the brnad name but i think they are very similar to the Harbor freight models and you can pick one up for 300-350 bucks. it has the Honda clone motor on it and it runs like a top. it starts on the first pull and literally runs till it's out of gas. really reliable and alomost maintence free. it's not the super quiet honda inverter type you mentiooned. those are several thosands for a little 2000 watt model.
Yeah, I had a coleman with a B&S motor that I got off CL for like 125 bucks. Changed the plug and it ran like a dream. Very quiet all things considered, I ran it in a truck stop in Barstow to keep the AC running in the 90+ heat and it did fine. I couldn't hear it over the trucks idling next to me.

I mean I love Ruddy's fuel as much as the next guy but if your not welding then a diesel genset is NOT worth it to me IMHO. Gas ones are much cheaper to buy, maintain and IMHO run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WAY north Texas
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have one of the champion generators I got at tractor supply (many sell them now). I run it in the bed of the truck while driving down the road so the AC can cool the trailer when we get to camp. It works very well and as long as you don't let the gas go bad, it runs and runs and runs! I ran it all day with the AC going (18 ish amps) and used maybe 5 or 6 gal. It was running a good 11 hours.

They are NOT quiet at all so do not expect a whisper like the honda.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors