2nd Air unit on fifth wheel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2nd Air unit on fifth wheel?

I'm probably going to be putting a second air unit on my new fifth wheel to help out on these hot humid Alabama days. Anyone done this before? I know it's supposed to just go right where the 14X14 vent is which will have to be either in my hall or bathroom. What do I have to do for power? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 04:22 PM

do you have a gen or use hook ups ??
Old 08-05-2007, 04:37 PM

99.9% of the time we have hook ups
Old 08-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Do you have any extra space in your power center? like an extra space for a breaker? Then you could just add it on that way and wire it to the thermostat... unless you jsut want to operate it on your own....
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Hopefully you have a sep breaker on your gen for a second unit, I do because both a/c's won't run on the same leg in my 5er. One at a time, but that defeats the purpose of having 2.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check with Sunnybrook, it may be pre-wired and just tucked behind the vent assembly. The down side if your trailer is not 50 amp, you will not be able to run both at the same time off 30 amp service. One way around this is to run a separate feed wire from the ac to the compartment where your shore power cord comes out and plug it into the 20 amp outlet at the campground, that way you can run both without having to mess with a power management switch. I know what you mean needing a second unit, we were at the beach in June, the one 15K unit during the heat of the day was struggling.
Chris
Old 08-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 014x4cc7.3 View Post
Check with Sunnybrook, it may be pre-wired and just tucked behind the vent assembly. The down side if your trailer is not 50 amp, you will not be able to run both at the same time off 30 amp service. One way around this is to run a separate feed wire from the ac to the compartment where your shore power cord comes out and plug it into the 20 amp outlet at the campground, that way you can run both without having to mess with a power management switch. I know what you mean needing a second unit, we were at the beach in June, the one 15K unit during the heat of the day was struggling.
Chris
30 amp and you'll be blowing breakers (hopefully) or worse, blowing your distribution panel. You can get it upgraded or run a second power feed as suggested above. I've been wanting to do this as well, so I've been doing some research, but mine's (thankfully) a 50 amp feed...
Old 08-11-2007, 08:01 AM

o.k., checked with Sunnybrook, they told me that it isn't pre-wired since it's a 30 amp service and that even if it was 50 that 2 airs would have it maxed out and that stuff like my refer., and water heater would probably run off my gasa all the time with 2 ac's going. My 1 15,000 unit had my camper at about 75 degree's inside and it was 100 outside, they told me that was great, my concern was that the unit was running constantly but they told me to run it and don't worry about it, said it wouldn't hurt anything running constantly, they also told me that most ac's do run constantly especially on like pop-ups, so I guess I'll just let it rip on the parks power bill.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2ND AC

If you are 75 degrees in 100 degree weather, unless you have kids opening and closing the door all the time, you do not need a second air. I have a second air on a 40 ft, only stays at 75-79 degrees with near 100 degree ambient temp, but have 3 kids opening and closing the door all day, and my wife likes to stand in the door and talk with the door open. I think you are expecting too much out of it. Run it and forget about it, they last for years and years.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know if your fifth wheel has slides or not but if it does here is something to think about in adding an air unit. My 36ft Prowler has three slides, two of which are in the living room. The window on the passenger side slide located near the rear of the trailer lifts up. I went to Walmart after measuring my window opening and put in an 8,000 cooling air conditioner by admiral, with remote. Fits right in the window and comes with little blocking slides that fill in the gaps on both sides of the air unit. Plug it inside the fifth wheel and combined with my ducted roof unit I am able to get temps in the 70's when the ambient temp is in the low 100's. of course you have to take it out each time that you move but it is a clean set up and does not look hokey. Not that that woulld matter to me but I have to live with someone to whom it would make a difference if it looked a bit red-necky (New word) Oh yeah, I think I paid less than $150 out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.