Hitch Type: 5W or Gooseneck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hitch Type: 5W or Gooseneck?

Just bought a Thor 2780BH 5er and need the hitch in the truck. I'm leaning hard towards a gooseneck conversion to reduce the crap in the bed. Any problems with doing this? I figured I should ask some veteran RVers first. Our first trailer. My wifes idea of roughing it is a 4 star hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a gooseneck in my truck because it came with it, and currently i have a pull behind, but once i move up to a 5er i plan on getting the adapter.

Fifth wheel vs. gooseneck
Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

I guess what I'm asking is if there could be a problem towing with a gooseneck. A friend pulls one with the traditional 5th wheel hitch. When I told him I was thinking G'neck he said that I should NOT. Something about wind resistance. I'm not sure what diff that would make. I've pulled enclosed stock trailers full of deer, and never had a problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

in my personall oppinion, i would think they have less depending on what you get. think about a regular pull behind, the wind goes over the cab in the bed and wam right in to a flat wall. on a 5er the nose of the trailer is usually angled and is tucked up tight behind the cab so the wind goes over the cab then up and over the trailer. i could be wrong on my theory but it makes sense to me.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

The style of hitch is not going to make a difference in wind resistance from the camper. I just bought a 5th wheel camper but have yet to pick it up. I settled on the B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch with the Companion 5th wheel adapter. This is by no means the cheapest route to go, but it appears to be the most sturdy and versatile setup of it's nature.

After several weeks of research I could not find a single bad comment anywhere regarding the Companion adapter. If you adapt your 5th wheel trailer to fit a gooseneck hitch in the truck, the trailer will be allowed to twist on uneven ground and could contact the bed of your truck.

The full B&W setup cost me $995 delivered to my door. It's not cheap, but I guarantee you that I now have all the benefits of a 5th wheel hitch along with all the strength of the gooseneck hitch. I won't have any obstructions in my bed on a daily basis nor will I need to worry about a flimsy gooseneck adapter when I tow a 16,000 lb trailer.

If you read the entire thread that was linked previously, you will see that there are many options to do what you want to do. The prices range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. I should have my B&W installed by Thursday and will pick the camper up on Monday. I will be able to give you more details at that time.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The only problem you may have is clearance if you have a shortbox. Unless the trailer has the extended kingpin on it
Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

I don't have a shortbed so I forgot about that scenario. The shortbox won't work with the B&W, but it can be done with some of the other goose to 5er adaptors.

The sliding 5th wheel hitch if prefered for a shortbed, but there are other options.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
With a short bed and a gooseneck adapter, you'll have a lot less clearance and therefore turning and backing in could present some problems. Some swear by them, though!

Yep, with my extended pinbox, I can get to about 80 degrees before I get concerned and that's turning a very tight turn... I also have the slider hitch and haven't had to use it yet, but I've got it!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

I saw a gooseneck conversion with a 7 1/2" offset that should compensate for the short bed. Then I could stay away from the rail set-up.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hopefully, the ball is still centered over your rear axle... If not, I wouldn't do it. My
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.