Buying a travel trailer help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Question Buying a travel trailer help

I have a good friend that has a 97 Dutchman bumper pull travel trailer. Its 36 feel in lengh, Has a brand new A/C unit with only 50 hrs on it. New tires only a week old. It also has a 12 foot sliding living room. I have no clue what there worth but this one is in great shape, He bought it new and no longer needs it. He is asking 6,500obo for it. So is it worth it. Is this a good brand? Any and All help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
one day at a time

I don't know too much about Dutchmans Bobby, but for 10 years old and a 36' trailer, $6500 doesn't seem out of line. But dang that's a long trailer to pull on a bumper. I'd think it'd like to walk around on you some.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
I don't know too much about Dutchmans Bobby, but for 10 years old and a 36' trailer, $6500 doesn't seem out of line. But dang that's a long trailer to pull on a bumper. I'd think it'd like to walk around on you some.
He used to pull it with a 99 7.3 longbox and said it did ok but at high speed it would whip on him, I asked him what it weighed and he said it was 15K, I dont know how close he is right. sounds like alot to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Dutchmen is a mid-level brand that holds up nicely if taken care of. The price seems good if everything is in good shape.

Has the trailer been stored under a cover, such as a barn or shed? 10 years of Austin sun will make a rubber roof pretty crispy, so be sure to check out the roof. Look for cracks or gaps in the rubber, and also for recently repaired cracks, huge runs of sealant and so forth. Check the interior carefully for signs of leaks.

Also, if it has not been used much make sure the bearing and trailer brakes are working.

That thing is long but your truck will pull it just fine. Get a weight-distributing, sway-controlling hitch (if it doesn't already come with one) like Reese Dual-Cam or Equal-i-zer and it will be fine. I've got the Dual-cam on my rig and it is awesome.

Good luck. Hope to meet you camping some day
Old 06-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
I have a 95 Dutchman 22 Ft 5er - They defiantely hold up well if taken care of! That thing is long - will be a PITA to pull! I'd say that price if in good condition is a great deal!

go to NADA . com and check out the value of that model -- put in all the options it has and you will have a value to go off of! The one I checked was a Dutchman Classic Series M 36ft TT and it was low retail @ 6400..... that was w/o any options checked - just standard
Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
Dutchmen is a mid-level brand that holds up nicely if taken care of. The price seems good if everything is in good shape.

Has the trailer been stored under a cover, such as a barn or shed? 10 years of Austin sun will make a rubber roof pretty crispy, so be sure to check out the roof. Look for cracks or gaps in the rubber, and also for recently repaired cracks, huge runs of sealant and so forth. Check the interior carefully for signs of leaks.

Also, if it has not been used much make sure the bearing and trailer brakes are working.

That thing is long but your truck will pull it just fine. Get a weight-distributing, sway-controlling hitch (if it doesn't already come with one) like Reese Dual-Cam or Equal-i-zer and it will be fine. I've got the Dual-cam on my rig and it is awesome.

Good luck. Hope to meet you camping some day
Thanks for the help. The TT is in North Texas, In Vernon. Ist been lived in about 3-6 months of the year, Always covered and is also comming with a antisway hitch. Its in GREAT shape. Is it really worth the money?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Also. does anyone knowof any RV parks in the texas area?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedSI View Post
Thanks for the help. The TT is in North Texas, In Vernon. Ist been lived in about 3-6 months of the year, Always covered and is also comming with a antisway hitch. Its in GREAT shape. Is it really worth the money?
If it has been covered and in great shape then I think it wouold be worth that. Using them is actually better than letting them sit, unless the guy smoked, fried fish every day, or had a bunch of pets in there
Old 06-13-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedSI View Post
Also. does anyone knowof any RV parks in the texas area?
Can't help much there-I'm a state park guy myself. BTW, there are a bunch of state parks fairly close to Austin out in the hill country and around Bastrop. Inks Lake SP is awesome-great swimming and kayaking in the summer. Buescher SP and Bastrop SP are nice and close to you also.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM

Dutchman is a good brand as their warranty demonstrates... The price certainly seems reasonable especially with the distro hitch... Look it over very close for anything that seems out of sorts (i.e. any delaminating of surface materials)... You definitely want to check the bearings and brakes... My Carriage came with Never-Lube axles which was a selling point for me... Those without them will have to be lubed periodically which is no big deal but MUST be done.... My preference is for a fifth wheel but tow behinds are just fine even in that size with the right hitch setup...

I was looking at new tow behinds and fifth wheels here in Phoenix where there are PLENTY of dealers and it still took me months to come across the right one... Good luck in your quest....

Ken....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.