Trailer questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Trailer questions

so me and the woman are looking to buy our first travel trailer... im a lil confused on a few things....

can a non fiberglass trailer be painted? reason i ask is after we went to go look at some at our local RV place i was searching CL and found this: *** 24' Travel Trailer - $3800 OBO ***

im not sold on it since it obviously looks like someone has been living in it but if could paint it and clean/ change some of the interior i would be down to get it....

we also saw this out our local place: Mallard 2006 210CKS

i would way rather get something cheap and have it payed off if its worth it... well only be using it maybe 6 times a year max...

what do you guys think? spend a lil more money and finance and get something really nice like the one in the link? or spend a lot less, having something paid off and just fix it up?

-Raul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would say get the one that you can pay cash for and talk him down a lil bit since cash talks!

Being debt free is better than getting into more debt w/ our crummy economy that we still have!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

The older trailer may be the best deal, but when buying a older used trailer always be ready to spend a little money and a lot of soap and elbow grease on it.
The used one will most likely need batteries and new tires(always check the manufacturing date of RV tires and if they are over 5 years old replace them.) Pack the wheel bearings.
If you are good at working on your home then you can redo a used RV, just like updating your home.
Good luck.
Doug
Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

im not afriad of cleaning... im a general contractor by trade... i figured if i bought the used one i would have to drop around another 1k fixing it and upgrading parts.....

my question is still... can i paint that old one? i figured a lil bit of paint and some new wall paper/ linolium flooring would make it look alot better.. plus my mom can re do all the interior fabric.....

-Raul
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sure you can paint it. In fact, most older RVs are pretty oxidized so you could probably just knock off the dirt with a power washer and shoot it.

As mentioned, the older the unit, the more of the little nagging things will go wrong. But it could be fun!!

Mark
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well of course that newer one would be nice to just hook up and it be ready to go but since you wont be using it that much I would say talk the old ones price down and go with it. My gf's dad bought one about like the old one for $1500, gutted the inside and re done it and now it looks like a brand new one. All he has to do is paint the outside and it will be real nice.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

sweet deal.... ive called but noone answered so im going to call again tomorrow and see if i can go take a look at it... only thing that concerns me is that someone is actually living in it full time... and i hope hes not a smoker...

side note: damn those 5th wheels are nice.... we can totally afford one but not sure about having another payment on another toy lol
Old 08-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
the one on cl would probably be a great first buy. depending on how much you use it you may find things you don't like and decide to upgrade. at the same time, you might find out that it's the perfect one. good luck
Old 08-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

yah i can only see us using it 6 times max a year... that would mean we would go every other month... i highly doubt we would do that..... Realisticly prob only 4 times a year... that CL one is looking better and better
Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sure you can paint the old RV. When you paint it you can design the colors the way you want it. Full body paint jobs look cool on old RV's.
Before you do the paint job, be sure to do all of the caulking that needs to be done around the door and windows. Make sure all of the roof seams, vent pipes are sealed and in good shape.
You are one lucky dude if you can rope your mom into helping on this job. LOL

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.