TrailAir Air pin rocks! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TrailAir Air pin rocks!

Been eyeballing one of these for a long time. Finally decided to just do it and buy one....

I dragged the trailer into work today so I could use the forklift to install the new pin. here we go!

I put the trailair box together yesterday on a pallet. Took about 15 minutes to get it all put together.

Off with the old-n-busted

Old-n-busted VS new-hottness

Mounted

Hooked up and ready to go home

The stock pin weighs about 30 pounds and the trail air weighs about 175 pounds!! I am amazed at how wimpy the stock pin is!

The fork lift was a life saver!! I dont know how we could have man handled the trailair up there without it! Also the 5 foot pipe cheater bar saved my butt too!

I drove up and down the road just to make sure it was all on ok before I leave to head home this evening. So far in the 10 miles I put on it, I am shocked at how much better the ride is! I hit some railroad tracks and the truck bounced over them like it usually does and then I look in the mirror and watch the trailer hit the tracks and see the pin move and did not feel hardly anythying in the truck!

Ill post up when I get home and let you all know how the ride home went.

Update:
On my test drive it felt a bit stiff so I let some air out of the pin thinking it would soften the ride. I think that was a bad thing. I felt a bunch of jerking all the way home. I called trail air and told them what happened and they said to add more air and try again. I hope to take it for a ride this weekend and see what happens with more air.

Last edited by tubular031; 08-05-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Picked up the trailer this weekend and drove around with it playing with the air pressure in the pin and on the truck air bags. I came up with a nice ride at 29 psi in the truck bags and 79 in the pin. Its amazing how much different the ride is with just a little less or a little more air in the pin. 79 rode like a dream! 81 or 77 rode like crap!

Over all this thing is sweet!!! you can hardly feel the trailer back there! It also really smooths out the start and stop. I use to feel a jerk when the trailer slid forward when hitting the brakes or it sliding back when I took off. Now there is little to no jerk. I really like this thing!

Last edited by tubular031; 08-10-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Nice piece.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Picked up the trailer this weekend and drove around with it playing with the air pressure in the pin and on the truck air bags. I came up with a nice ride at 29 psi in the truck bags and 79 in the pin. Its amazing how much different the ride is with just a little less or a little more air in the pin. 79 rode like a dream! 81 or 77 rode like crap!

Over all this thing is sweet!!! you can hardly feel the trailer back there! It also really smooths out the start and stop. I use to feel a jerk when the trailer slid forward when hitting the brakes or it sliding back when I took off. Now there is little to no jerk. I really like this thing!
How much do those cost those?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Tweetys had the best price at 800 with free shipping. It came in 2 boxes. One was 100 pounds and the other was 80. So of that 800 150 is shipping!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Runnin'wita2cylhandycap

Those are a nice hitch. I have one on our wagon. I shot some vid of it after I added a gooseneck adapter pulls like a dream now.

Best money ever spent if you have to pull one of those buck'n mother's very far.

Last edited by OneBigDoofus; 08-22-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelt rong
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post

Looks like a great set up
My 5th tows great-but I do feel the jerk when stopping and starting-but really feel that up forward shake when on concrete highways
How's it do on that?
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 AM

You still feel some but it is way better. I have not taken a trip since I installed it. We are going out in a week and I should cover 250 miles so that will be the first real test!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Very nice

and doofus....ask your wife for permission to get a bed liner
Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by icysmooth View Post
Looks like a great set up
My 5th tows great-but I do feel the jerk when stopping and starting-but really feel that up forward shake when on concrete highways
How's it do on that?
Thanks!
I looked very closely at 3 or 4 of the most popular pin boxes. Really could not find much in the way of reviews on the web, especially to compare types. What I wanted to reduce/eliminate was the front to back "chucking" that was especially noticeable on concrete roads. After some thought I decided the Mor/Ryde style box would best absorb the front to back movement. After all, the trucks suspension is there to absorb the up and down.

All I can say is that anyone that wants to reduce the "chucking" should buy one of the aftermarket pin boxes! I am sure the air ride types help also, my direct experience is only with the Mor/Ryde. After spending the money to buy a tow vehicle and the RV, $500 or so for the pin box is easily worth the money and more! Dramatic difference in smoothness while towing. I can drive all day with no discomfort from the chucking. Before that would not be the case. I do have air bags on my truck ( originally to level the headlights ) and I found that a certain amount of pressure in them ( 27 psi unladen ) really helped the ride as far as the dips as you approach or exit a bridge or dip in the road. In that respect it sounds a lot like the air bag pin boxes mentioned earlier. If I ever order an RV I will be sure to get an aftermarket style pin box. One of the best investments you'll make for towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.