Truck Tent! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Tent!

A few weeks ago, shortly after acquiring my '99 F-350, I found a deal on a SportzIII truck tent (the deal being that they had free shipping and threw in a free Truck Bedz air mattress along with the tent...w00t!). I've been driving around with the thing in the cab, but had a chance to finally set it up and use it this past weekend for my son's birthday.

I've got to say, I'm really impressed with this tent. It's well made, and the setup and take-down were straightforward and fast. Unlike any of the other truck tents I've seen, it has a sewn-in bottom to keep the bugs from coming in through cracks at the tailgate, etc. Its instruction manual leaves a bit to be desired (it lacks pictures, for one thing), but does include one critical warning about the tent poles being color-coded to go in the correct locations in color-coded sleeves (paying attention to that warning will prevent you from snapping one of the poles, which is the biggest complaint from n00bs you read in the few negative reviews about this tent).

The Truck Bedz air mattress filled up quick and was a very close fit around the wheel wells. Unlike the 12v air pumps I've used to fill up inner tubes on my boat, the pump that came with this mattress has a cord that's at least 20 feet long. It reached the back end of the tailgate from the power point in the cab with no trouble at all. The mattress was very cushy, and I had plenty of room on it even though I'm 6'-5"/200# and was sharing space with my teenage son (YMMV...my truck is a long-box). Although the mattress has a kind of flocked surface on the top, I strongly recommend bringing along a blanket to put over it even if you're using sleeping bags. Using it the first time out of the box, it had a terrible fresh-PVC reek, though. We had to let the thing air out for a couple of hours before we could put the rest of our gear in the tent. Phew!

I've attached some pictures if you're interested in how it looks. The weather was decent, so I didn't extend the entrance cover, but we didn't know if it was going to rain or not, so the rain fly is on. The best part is, it cost about 400 times less than a camper and folds up into a duffel bag!
Attached Thumbnails
Truck Tent!-img_0047.jpg   Truck Tent!-img_0048.jpg   Truck Tent!-img_0049.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
WOW! i want one!

do they make them for us short bed guys?

where di you get it?
how much was it?

i will deffiantly be purchasing one soon
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you dont mind me asking, how much?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got it from autoanything.com. They were having a pre-July 4th sale, and I got the tent and air mattress together for $220 with free shipping. The MSRP on the tent itself is $250, but you can usually find them for less than that. You'll definitely want the Napier Sportz III tent, since none of the other brands have a bottom in them. They make them in a wide variety of sizes, for short and long boxes, compact P/Us all the way up to my monster F350.

The mattress usually retails for $99, and I highly recommend getting one if you're going to go this route. They also come in different sizes fitted to different types of truck and bed size.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have seen them before and wondered how they workout,thanks for the write up.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i had one of these on my short bed and used it once... it did really good... ill have to see if i can find it if i do ill sell it if anyone is interested for cheap..... havnt opened up the case for it in about 2 years though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.